Converting to manual tranny

wej

Greetings, all:

I've been a lurker on the Bluebirds list for years, but my wife says the garage queen has to go, so...

I'm putting my '71 510 2-door back together, converting from automatic to manual tranny.  I've posted a WTB on the classifieds here for a manual pedal box.

However, I'm intrigued by the Wilwood 3-pedal set they have for sale.  Seems like they're set up perfectly for heel-toe, plus the unit is just gorgeous.  Only potential problem, to my mind, is fitting them.  I know it'll take some fabrication to fit, but has anyone here every done an install of this unit, or seen it done in a 510?

https://www.wilwood.com/Pedals/PedalList?sc=Floor Mount Pedals

340-12410-lg.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Dave Patton replied on the bluebirds list - there is not enough room down there for a floor mounted pedal box. 

It is not difficult to find stock manual pedal set.  In reality, all you need are the pedals.  The actual "box" they hang from is the same - with the exception of a little tang to hold the return spring for the clutch pedal - which you don't really even need.

Note - the stock gas pedal link is different between the auto and manual.  The manual gas pedal is closer to the transmission tunnel than the auto gas pedal - so the linkage reaches over farther to pick it up.  The brake pedal is smaller on the manual cars.

I know you are asking for very specific advice about the pedal set but may I give you some broader advice as you start to consider this project?

If you are building it for yourself - do whatever you want.

But if you are building it to sell - do what everyone else likes.

Are you sure you want to build to sell?  It always breaks my heart to see people live in an okay looking house for 10 years, then spend a year fixing everything, new paint, landscaping, kitchen, etc - only to sell it and never enjoy the time and money they invested.

If you are going to build it, build it for yourself and enjoy driving it for years on afterwards.

If you are building it to sell, unless you are simply reassembling it and getting it running, you will not likely recoup the value of your time - unless you just love working on other people's cars for fun.  Then go for it.

--carter

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

i have pulled one of these from a z car but it was inverted meaning it hung under the dash not floor mounted 

new holes had to be made in the firewall and other brackets fabricated 

if possible stick with the stock pedal box if you can 

just my 2cents