63 series 5 speed availability for L series.

Tom1200

How available are the 63 series 5 speeds for L series engines? My 1200 coupe is a manual and the 71 series trans don't fit into the manual tunnel without mods.

Background: I had a motor failure this past weekend with my A-series, it melted the head and the GX heads are getting thin on the ground. I've found a couple but they're  pushing $2000. My thought is put the 2K into converting to an L-series motor (remember my so called A15 race motors only belt out 100 whp). 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L20B makes about 93-95 hp at 5k and red lines at 7K. Lots of room for improvements.The 63A will handle a stock L20B and it's not so much that they are a weak transmission, it's that there is a stronger alternative. The 71B is a six cylinder transmission so a 4 cylinder is not going to stress them that much, even modified.

Only the first gen 200sx had the 63A and it was an option on the '78-'79 A10 Hatchback, so not that many in the first place.

In comparison the '77-'78 280z, '79-'93 non turbo 280zx, '77-'79 620. '80 720, '78-'84 810 and Maxima had available or optional 71B 5 speeds and there were other engine series ('80-'86 Z, CA, SD) that had them but with just a different front case. Then there's the 71C 5 speeds from the D21 Hardbodys that need a 71B L series front case swap and you'll never run out of transmissions and never break one. In the long run probably worth the bother. 

Mike while the 71 box is the way to go, my 1200 coupe would need tunnel surgery to fit one so it's not a straightforward install. Additionally I have a freshly rebuilt 63 series box, when I was checking a coupe of years ago a few members had 63 series 5 speeds. All I would really need is the front case.

I agree. Well, keep your eyes open in the mean time. I owned a 620 for 15 + years and in that time salvaged a pair of Maxima goon front struts. It's not like I needed them but here I am 12 years later with a 710..... with maxima struts. At Canby a guy didn't want some 510 brake shoes so I took them for $5. I sure didn't plan it but it was fortuitous. T he struts were free. Sometimes stuff just happens along.

63a l series pic

63a L series isn't just a front case unless you plan on grafting it. If you can find an R30 skyline hatch they had a short 71b 5speed. Same dimensions but stronger (bit of a bad mismatch in ratios between 2and 3rd though dropscrevsca lot).

The d21 box is similar dimensions but stronger again and double synchro on first and 2nd from memory

Edited by Unfamilia
Added link to poc

Unfamilia I'm not aware of the major differences between the L & A internals so my understanding is the front cases are interchangeable.

Mike I already have a custom driveshaft in the car so I'll likely have to shorten another driveshaft.

If talking about the L and A series doglegs, they are the same inside and only the front case is different to reflect the engine bolt pattern.

The Z series dogleg, besides having a different engine bolt pattern, also has different gear ratios for first and second. These are 3.170 first as compared to the 3.382 in the L and A series doglegs. This mashes 1st, 2nd (slightly) closer to 3rd which remains the same as the L and the A series.  All L, A and Z series front cases will interchange.

L and A series.......Z series

3.382.................... 3.170....  7% less RPM drop on up shift to 2nd 

2.013.................... 1.920..... 4% less RPM drop on up shift to 3rd

1.312.................... 1.312

1.000.................... 1.000

0.854.................... 0.854

Oh yeah the Z series 63A was available on theUS '80 A10 4 dr hatchback and wagon. After June '80 build dates US and Canada, only the 4 dr hatchback had them.

• 3 years later...