510 coil over suggestions

vetteguy22

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a T3 coil over set up annd use a 7inch(mosat are the 8in tall) 180pound spring. I wanted it lower as my spring perch needed to be at stoclcation for my +25mm rims. More orless didnt want the perch to hit the tire.

on 280zx your perch mayb to lower as one uses more like a 0 or +12mm offset rim and it wollbefarther away from the strut tube

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
2 hours ago, vetteguy22 said:

It looks like the T3 uses a winch bolt on the lower perch that tightens into the threads of the tube, is that correct? If so I’d be afraid it would lead to thread damage after several adjustments for street to autocross changes. What do you think?

Rob

I just hand tighten the lock nut on the spring perch.  If the upper bearing is doing it's job it shouldn't loosen up.  

T3 sells the component parts to build your own coilovers with the ZX struts, or 510 struts.

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/front-weld-coilover-kit-datsun-510

I'm running their equipment on modified ZX struts with 15X7 +22 offset rims and have no contact between tire and upper perch. 

The winch bolt does not tighten directly into the threads. It contacts a larger surface that keeps the lower perch from moving, and does not damage the threads.  

4 hours ago, vetteguy22 said:

Thanks for that info paradime. I plan on doing the coil over kit myself. When you say modified ZX struts, are you referring to the coil overs or did you do something else also. 

No worries Vett. The struts are shortened and the compression damping is adjustable. 

• 1 month later...

Ordered my T3 coil over kit Friday - should ship tomorrow. Dave Carroll will cut off the spring perches and weld the collars on for me. Stock 280ZX struts with KYB shocks and 200 lb springs. (softer springs recommended by both T3 and Dave even with the VG33 swap)

This may be a little soft, but the KYB shocks apparently can't handle stiffer springs and the KYB are way less expensive than Koni, Bilstein, Tokiko etc and my budget just couldn't stretch that far.

Drywall being done in the garage all this next week so the car and parts are all covered and no work being planned.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I am running 1987 200SX front struts. They push the wheel back out and eliminate the need for spacers on certain 0 offset wheels. And, it gives you more room on the backside for positive wheel offset. My 510 has BRE flares on it. 

And I am using T3 Sleeves with 350 lb. Eibach springs, as I am also running a VG

Here are my T3 coilover kits installed on the 280ZX struts. Not shortened. Retaining rings are welded so top of threaded sleeve is just far enough below the top of the strut to allow tightening the top big nut. The spring perch is set temporarily all the way up to keep the spring captured with shock extended all the way.

The perch collars have a nylon ball in the set screw hole so that when you tighten the set screw it presses on the nylon ball and that presses against the threaded sleeve

This was a very inexpensive way to get a coilover setup on the front. They offer a store credit for struts and this kit fits both the 280ZX and stock 510 struts

46621588784_7d35894d4a_o.jpg

I won't get to installing them until after I finish the garage into studio remodel and I have some time (May 1 goal).

• Like 2