Need single crank pulley for A14 engine

sasquatchmystery

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I do not always come here and look at every thread I have posted in.

Here is the dual pulley, I do not know if it is just a set of pulleys or if it is the balancer also, it does not come apart and it is very dirty, I only mentioned it because you said they made a single and triple, but you did not mention a double.

I also took a photo with a tape measure over it, that is from the front cover to the front of the pulley.

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

Edited by wayno

The A12 engines in the  B210 and the 210 are single pulley. I don't think the pulleys have a harmonic balancer but the larger and later Z24s do and the KA engines. many of the L20Bs have solid pulleys.

If you have a triple pulley have a look and see if they are solid or have something bolted into the center. If solid have it trimmed to a single.

I don't recall ever seeing a harmonic balancer on an A motor, though I don't remember everything...

Here is a pic of my A12 that was in my 320. It has a single groove pulley. I do remember machining them down to a single groove on the lathe, but again, I can't remember if this one was machined or stock.

Datsun_1200_motor005Small.jpg

S M, the picture you show is the single pulley. I have cut down three now and they are cast and easy to cut and machine. Never fitted with a harmonic balancer and if balance is a concern the best way to address  that is to have your entire rotating assembly balanced by your machine shop. Crank, front pulley, and flywheel plus clutch assembly. That is the way they were done at the factory. I don't believe the crank was separately balanced.

The front pulley isn't a concern for balance IMO but the crank and flywheel are. The flywheel is particularly heavy and  lightening it for better performance isn't a bad idea. Afterwords balancing the assembly would be a good idea.

• Like 1

Zero balancing is the term. It's like cooking, you season as you go, so that no one component is lacking in flavor.

Nissan has proven to be very good about zero balancing all of their rotating and reciprocating parts. Rods are almost always within a couple of grams, cranks generally are spot on.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:06 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Zero balancing is the term. It's like cooking, you season as you go, so that no one component is lacking in flavor.

Nissan has proven to be very good about zero balancing all of their rotating and reciprocating parts. Rods are almost always within a couple of grams, cranks generally are spot on.

That's good to know since the first A series I put together was a auto trans engine and I fitted a manual trans flywheel.

• Like 1