Repost from b210 section...77 a14 no crank issue

I came here for faster response, sorry Datsun Mike. I've got a junkyard 77 a14 points motor I'm trying to get inside my 80 210. Harness is 80 matchbox style. I have the starter(tested good) to the battery using jumper cables. Starter lead connected to harness. Distributor not connected to harness. With a socket the motor fturns freely in either direction but not with key or with a jump wire to starter off battery. Not best connection but it does make starter move slightly. Not like a click(bad starter click) but like a thump. Points coil connected but not at resistor.harness directly to coil. Trying to just get it to turn over to do compression. Transmission is on but no fork or bearing. Starter changed to brand new 80 starter same result. Is this a flywheel clutch issue, stuck fuel pump, weak connection? I figured starter could spin to do compression with distributor,coil, harness etc

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Broken timing chain? Stuck fuel pump, coil? Been a while since I tinkered with these motors. I have experienced situations as a bad starter, clutch/ pilot, coil but was a complete car with complete wiring. So I'm basically bench testing this 77 motor as starting point for compression then on from there

9 hours ago, 81sunnyson said:

I came here for faster response, sorry Datsun Mike. I've got a junkyard 77 a14 points motor I'm trying to get inside my 80 210. Harness is 80 matchbox style. I have the starter(tested good) to the battery using jumper cables. Starter lead connected to harness. Distributor not connected to harness. With a socket the motor fturns freely in either direction but not with key or with a jump wire to starter off battery. Not best connection but it does make starter move slightly. Not like a click(bad starter click) but like a thump. Points coil connected but not at resistor.harness directly to coil. Trying to just get it to turn over to do compression. Transmission is on but no fork or bearing. Starter changed to brand new 80 starter same result. Is this a flywheel clutch issue, stuck fuel pump, weak connection? I figured starter could spin to do compression with distributor,coil, harness etc

Note: Your distributor is not a points distributor if out of a 77 B210, only the 1974 B210 used points. 75-77 (78 used a variant) used an electronic dist. with the control unit in the passenger footwell (functionally equivalent to the matchbox). 210 and later used the matchbox. You can use a GM HEI unit to work with the dist. you currently have though, basically mounts to the 2 wires coming out of the distributor that go to the junction box (oddly shaped black plastic box).

Edited by Dguy210
1 hour ago, 81sunnyson said:

Answered this in part on the other thread, but I "believe" that is the one with the internal ignitor/matchbox as I don't believe they really make any other chinese clone. But please take pics and post it with the cap off and it will be really obvious. IF it is that one it is functionally and electrically equivalent to a matchbox distributor.

Looks like in that thread they say how to hook it up, I'm also linking the Ratsun thread that covers it:

It's the Chinese knockoff of the Mitsubishi....my harness is matchbox. http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Vanette_Distributor#22301-G5710

I'm also looking at EI wiring post it's saying run a wire from ignition switch to 12 volts with the black/ yellow starter wire. Ground the distributor and blue with to coil negative

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Distributor-Fit-Nissan-Datsun-Sunny-B110-B210-B120-Pickup-A12-A14-A15-/272770955826?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Sorry bout pic. Car in storage cross town. No electricity. Part I have is Like this only I have a red rotor. No brand, no instructions. Dropped right no issues just lost on wiring this with 80 matchbox harness. Got alternator, oil sender, vacuum advance, starter leads connected, ignition switch/ key connected. New wires, new plugs. Haven't checked fuse box but key works. I'll go by tomorrow