So, I messed up.....

NVFireFighter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

In a way it does. It's the return FROM the heater and goes back to the water pump. The hot water TO the heater comes out the side of the head.

Yes, that is how it runs, now that you mention it.

• Like 1

That by-pass is very important. Without it the water around the thermostat is stagnant and remains cold while the rest of the engine is heated up sometime over heated. The by-pass flows a small amount of internal heated water past the thermostat to 'sample' it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NVFireFighter said:

Nothing was forced idiot.

So this just fell off ?

Your own words:

"I was putting in my new temp sensor and as I was tightening to the o ring(Too Far)there was a snap sound and this is what happened......"

20190118_162704_zpsepah3igx.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NVFireFighter said:

Oh, one good benefit I got. That thin metal cover over the exhaust manifold, that was only being held on by one bolt....Well, I was able to yank it off, so no more buzzing/rattle, lol.

That's the source of heated air for the carb during cold weather. If it gets near freezing near you in the winter and damp or foggy, the extra cooling from evaporation of the gas will drive the carb well below freezing. The moisture in the air will form frost all over the venturi like the inside of a freezer and plug it. The engine will begin to slow for no apparent reason and stall but restart and idle. It won't accelerate and becomes undrinkable but idle just fine. If you let it si,t engine warmth will melt the ice and you can drive away for another kilometer and it does it again. If you experience this it's called carb icing and requires a warm air source and a 'stove pipe' from that 'metal cover on the exhaust' to the snorkel on the air filter housing. I've made one from a MaxwellHouse coffee can and some bailing wire before.

• Like 2

Aluminum is what it is, not many people can say that stuff just went back together without an issue, I have pulled more than one set of threads out of an aluminum head trying to put the intake/exhaust back on the head, these L block thermostat housings are the epitome of an accident waiting to happen, there are a few things that can go wrong with that set of parts.

But it doesn't help to not know the correct part needed, and the guys at the auto parts stores just sell anything they can to anyone that walks in the store even if it is not what you need, I go in with part numbers anymore, as 90 percent of the time I walk out without buying a thing without a part number, I even have them telling me they do not have the part in stock, but I go home and get the box of the last one I bought there and go back and take it right off the shelf myself, they all know me by name now and I only go there a few times a year.

• Like 2

Steel fasteners tend to gall? I don't know the technical term but the two dissimilar metals seem to act this way... You tighten to 20 ft lbs and come back a few weeks later and the fastener takes 30 to snap it loose. If you know it's going to be tight to loosen heat is probably the way to go or several heat cycles.

NAPA.... where if they see wayno parking they quickly lock the door and hide behind the counter.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, G-Duax said:

So this just fell off ?

It wasn't forced douchbag......did you comprehend the topic?? Where it says "I messed up"?

Oh, I'm sure you've never rounded off a nut, stripped a screw or broken a bolt off???

You still have not explained the wrong part you linked to.....hahahaha

How about you take your high and mighty self, paint a "Happy Tree" then hang yourself from it.

• Like 1

You cannot take this personally, you will get good advice, you will get advice worded wrong as some on here English is not their native language, and you will get aggravating advice that sometimes has nothing to do with the thread at all, some on here read too fast or skim instead of reading and miss the whole point, just sort thru it all and use what you can and send the rest to the garbage bin(forget you read it).

I have been around here for a while and I am still stunned sometimes at what some members have said, so brush the negative vibes off and move on, your learning even from the negative, and the fact is aluminum is easy to break, especially thin aluminum like in the thermostat housing, I have broken a few aluminum thermostat covers myself because the thermostat came out of its place while I was tightening the cover down.

• Like 3

PM me your address and I will send you a used replacement water outlet housing.  I will check today to see if I have a matching part if I do I will send it to you for your service of helping other people.

I am one of the crusty old farts Wayno is referring to that skim reads posts sometimes and other times I just post bizarre shit because I can!  LOL

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

PM me your address and I will send you a used replacement water outlet housing.  I will check today to see if I have a matching part if I do I will send it to you for your service of helping other people.

I am one of the crusty old farts Wayno is referring to that skim reads posts sometimes and other times I just post bizarre shit because I can!  LOL

Thank you for the offer Charlie, but I've sourced one from ebay. 

• Like 1

The thermostat housing is also interesting in that 1979 and up L20B, L24 and L28 engines had three bolt thermostat covers on them. The A10, S10, 620, 720, 810, Maxima and the 280zx.

I have one on my 710 just to be different.

aoc5ndB.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NVFireFighter said:

How about you take your high and mighty self, paint a "Happy Tree" then hang yourself from it. 

So far you've proven to be the largest douchbag on the forum.

Funny thing is you ended up doing exactly what I suggested.

Your welcome.......

• Like 1
On 1/20/2019 at 1:59 PM, G-Duax said:

So far you've proven to be the largest douchbag on the forum.

Funny thing is you ended up doing exactly what I suggested.

Your welcome.......

Gee, good one......great imagination! 

You still can't own up to your lame ass link to the wrong part!

You are, and always will be "Largest Asshole in the Forum" and you're suggestion is worthless......

And it's "you're" welcome.....felcher boy.

• Like 1