510 seat belt latch repair, carpets, door card cleaning and more questions

rosso

While I am waiting for parts to arrive for my VG33 swap, I started working on the interior and have a couple of questions.

Is 71Dimer still selling carpets? I pm'd him but no reply yet. Are there any other sources for a front (only) carpet. stockinteriors.com only does complete kits.

The latch on my front driver seat belt does not click on to the tongue and the button seems to have a broken spring or other internal part. Are there any rebuild kits, or replacement belts pieces available. All I need is the little short 15" piece that bolts to the center tunnel area. Anyone have one for sale? (I am posting a wtb in the classifieds also.)

Has anyone added extra support to the stock 510 bucket seats? Extra springs maybe? Or some really firm foam? Or at least add some to the side bolster seat areas to help lateral support  I am just looking for some help for the old worn out springs in the seat that have no real support. My seats are in fairly good condition with only one rip in the driver's seat bottom, so it would be nice to firm them up for as little expense as possible.

My door cards are in good shape too, just wondering the best way to clean and restore them - product suggestions?

I have a good dashpad to replace the cracked one in the car and a factory tach to figure out the wiring on for the V6 conversion. I'll post pictures over on my project thread as get to them.

Any help or ideas on the seats and seat belts would be appreciated.

Edited by rosso
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, rosso said:

Are there any other sources for a front (only) carpet.

I've seen other kits, but none of them are as nice as 71Dimers. IF you're feeling up for it, I'd try laying down your own. Find a nice mat you like, a nice carpet, buy a bunch of yards, then custom fit and glue it in in as many pieces as you want (that's what I'm doing to mine, with a 3M adhesive and some jute for cheap sound deadening). 

2 hours ago, rosso said:

Has anyone added extra support to the stock 510 bucket seats?

I've seen people who carefully remove the leather and replace the foam itself with a thicker and more beefy foam. Not sure if it's worth the effort, though. 

2 hours ago, rosso said:

My door cards are in good shape too, just wondering the best way to clean and restore them - product suggestions?

I've used Simple Green to get gunk off my original door panels, then hitting it with a vinyl polish makes them shine. If they are fraying at the edges, re-gluing them at the edges or even stapling them can work. Mine have really crappy and old wood backing, so I glued a thin plywood to bolster it in one or two places. If they are REALLY fucked, you can buy really nice OEM replicas from Datsun Garage. 

As for seat belts, unless you are super invested in keeping the car original, Seatbelt Planet is a great place to get aftermarket belts that dont look offensively modern. 

Thanks Bamboo, I am trying to keep the use of the stock shoulder belt so need a replacement that allows for it to clip into the buckle area. Finding a stock belt end would be the easiest solution. Hopefully someone has one and will respond to my classified request.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

SEM makes a vinyl dye in a spray can.  To really do it right, they sell a soap, a solvent prep, and then the paint.  I had red and brown door cards for my wagon, and used the SEM stuff to dye them black.  It worked great.  I don't have them handy, but I can get the product numbers and post them up later if you like. 

Thanks Duncan, it looks like Landau Black SEM vinyl spray paint is the product - available to order from amazon or walmart among others. (as well as the other products you mention that  they sell for prep)

Got a seatbelt - thanks yenpit.

Anyone know about 71Dimer and if he is still around selling carpet? have not heard from him directly.