Transmission Cooler Lines

slim_jimmy7

So although I seemed to have got on top of my cooling issues last summer, I want a little more margin for error and reliability when it comes to cooling on those hotter days. Super excited that along with a new Koyorad I am getting a transmission cooler for my auto trans.  I purchased both, now need a hose, wanted to dress it up with stainless hoses under the hood, but getting conflicting reports on what type of hose is needed for the transmission cooler lines.

Will these work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20Ft-6M-6AN-Stainless-Steel-Braided-Fuel-Oil-Line-Hose-Coolant-Air-AN6-20-Feet/122940205847?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thanks in advance!  Always new things to learn and make mistakes on ?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would run from the transmission into the rad cooler, out the other side and to your new transmission cooler and from it back to the automatic. This way the rad will help warm the oil faster when it's cold. Any hose that fits and is compatible with petroleum products  (oil resistant) will do. It does not have to be high pressure as the return line just dumps back into the automatic's oil pan anyway.

Heat is the worst enemy of the automatic transmission. Never tow with an automatic unless you have a lot more cooling than the stock rad. If you over heat your transmission or the fluid changes color... change the fluid. Change it every 30K. I cut a rad tank apart once to see what was inside. Big shock! there was about 8" of metal hose from the inlet fitting to the outlet fitting!!! They were simply joined together! Practically nothing. I expected a coil of copper tubing or something. The metal lines from the transmission to the rad would shed more heat.