Left-hand drive wagons

emanistan

I was just thinking about the elusive (to us yanks) B210/120Y/third-generation Sunny station wagon/estate/kombi/universal this afternoon and suddenly wondered: did Nissan ever build a left-hand drive version? In these pages there's a lot of confusion between the B210 built from 1974-78 and the similarly named 210 built from 1979, whose station-wagon version was widely exported to North America. I'm talking about the 1974-78 B210. Nissan built a wagon version, but these were not exported to North America. They were used in the Japanese domestic market--right-hand drive--and they were exported to the UK--also right-hand drive. Does anyone know if Nissan built left-hand drive versions, perhaps for parts of mainland Europe or Asia?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, emanistan said:

I was just thinking about the elusive (to us yanks) B210/120Y/third-generation Sunny station wagon/estate/kombi/universal this afternoon and suddenly wondered: did Nissan ever build a left-hand drive version? In these pages there's a lot of confusion between the B210 built from 1974-78 and the similarly named 210 built from 1979, whose station-wagon version was widely exported to North America. I'm talking about the 1974-78 B210. Nissan built a wagon version, but these were not exported to North America. They were used in the Japanese domestic market--right-hand drive--and they were exported to the UK--also right-hand drive. Does anyone know if Nissan built left-hand drive versions, perhaps for parts of mainland Europe or Asia?

Taiwan has them, although very rare. Were assembled locally by Yue Loong.

I don't know for anyone else, maybe Greece too?

Edited by Dguy210
On 1/15/2019 at 7:03 PM, Dguy210 said:

Taiwan has them, although very rare. Were assembled locally by Yue Loong.

I don't know for anyone else, maybe Greece too?

Interesting. I would think the other main candidates would be West Germany and perhaps Indonesia which appears to have a big vintage Datsun community. Its odd though that Europe--even if it's just the UK--got them while North America didn't. One would have thought the demand for a compact wagon in the states then would have been huge, and unlike Europe, at that time it was relatively untapped. I wonder if it was uncertainty around the chicken-tax laws, since the wagons were thought of as vans in the Japanese market?