Recently acquired Datsun 810/Maxima help please?!

SageLaw92

My friend has had this Maxima for a while, not running for a bit more than a year. He recently told me if I can fix it I can have it. Few cosmetic issues, I'd like to get fixed of course, though my main problem at the time is it won't stay running. It'll fire up then die a few seconds later. If you push on the gas at all dies faster. Also I replaced the spark plugs, first thing of course, with iridium plugs, after doing a few things here and there and the test fires my first four plugs are wet fouled. I've replaced all the vacuum lines I can find, I'm just at a stalemate of whether or not to go fuel injector route, headgasket, or fuel pump. Anyone got any advise? I can post pictures if needed or wanted. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care for iridium plugs. They are high tech for high tech engines made today not 35 years ago. I hope to hell they are NGK because these are what Nissan made them with.

Off the top of my head, I would say maybe the fuel filter is getting plugged up. If you don't know when it was last changed try a new one. If you plan to own this gem a new filter is no big expense, and if it fixes the problem... an easy fix.

See if you can find a way to test the fuel pressure. It should be over 35 PSI. If it isn't the fuel filter maybe the pump is going.

14 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I don't care for iridium plugs. They are high tech for high tech engines made today not 35 years ago. I hope to hell they are NGK because these are what Nissan made them with.

Off the top of my head, I would say maybe the fuel filter is getting plugged up. If you don't know when it was last changed try a new one. If you plan to own this gem a new filter is no big expense, and if it fixes the problem... an easy fix.

See if you can find a way to test the fuel pressure. It should be over 35 PSI. If it isn't the fuel filter maybe the pump is going.

Yes they are NGK I knew to get those. My battery is dead so I have it on the charge at the current moment, I cleaned out the filter today to see if that helps any. It was kinda Grey washed at first then after a few flushes started getting clear. I'm going to try an start it again once I have the battery to power. 

It didn't work, I'm in the process of working out a way to test the fuel pressure before and after the filter. Though I got new information about the car, it was ran completely out of gas before dying completely on him. I filled the tank to reset the pump, though I'm not sure if it's full enough. I got it just below the full line. There could also be a clogg somewhere I'm guessing or that is what finished off the filter. 

It ended up being my fuel filter, and the tps in inoperative. The fuel filter was so clogged it weighed about 10x more than the new one. Got that replaced wanted to run more, was still dying at the pedal press, found out the tps was malfunctioning got a new one on order now will find out more tomorrow whe. It gets here. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

A ZX (non turbo) transmission will literally drop in. The internal ratios are fine for the larger L28 and a bit more work for the L24. The overdrive is about twice as high so perhaps a 280z or 620 5 speed would be better. 

So the thing about this car other than getting swiped by a drunk driver on the passenger rear side busting the tail light housing, and sitting for a bit more than a year it's in prime condition. It only has 102xxx miles. After everything I've replaced, once it runs, it'll run good. 

7 hours ago, Bleach said:

The engine should be an L24e. Almost identical to the 280Z L28 with fuel injection.

The 5-speed manual is somewhat rare for those cars. I think you can use a 5-speed from a 280ZX if you ever need to replace the transmission.

It is quite rare, from what I understand of the 83 models the one I have was model #4. 

• 2 weeks later...

Run regular NGK plugs. iridiums is what I run for my turbo maxima not need to run those on a NA L-Series.  Also check your fusible links those love to burn out one of the biggest problems with most 810 & 910s issues and if they aren't bad they will be.  You can replace them with maxi fuses they usually come in a nice clear cover fuse box.  Also check your Air Flow Meter pop the black plastic cover and see if any circuit has burned out or the little plastic arm hasn't fallen out of place.