Datsun 510? race engine

Jason H

1 hour ago, paradime said:

With the 510's trailing arm rear suspension it's very different from the Fords. When you say change caster a bit, are you talking from the top hat, or extending the trailing arm?  Did you mean camber? I think what Suffergen was talking about by adding toe is Byron and Datsport (AU) both make adjustable rear trailing arm brackets that enable toe and camber adjustments. Although I know the 510's suspension very well, by no means do I profess to know anything about flat track car suspension setups. There was a group of guys here who converted a flat track 510 into a budget enduro car. When they tore it down, here's what the found:

The front right had multiple springs and strange spacers. 

The left rear spring was about half the height of the right rear spring.

The right rear shock was adjustable, and the rod cover was removed.

One of the front struts (I'm thinking the right front) had the top hat modified for camber and/or caster.

https://ratsun.net/topic/73011-swamp-thing-jbc-enduro-car/?do=findComment&comment=1532000

There was also a response from someone saying:

left rear lowest ,, right front highest to counter the dive as you hit brakes and go into corner.  if you go out to short track you will also notice every tire is a different size and tire pressure also..

that's why there is also a rule how much camber the right front can have cuz guys will extend lower control arm and try to almost lay the right front tire parallel to the ground if there wasn't.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I meant Camber right rear.  Yes, I understand frame heights and will be checking them. Also gotta weight the car to get the rite percents on the scales..  

I am hoping by cambering right rear, it will tighten car on exit. As the tire goes up, the tread will lay into the track more. Make a better contact patch.. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can slot a stock crossmember without any other mods, but the cool way to do it is by cutting off the mounting tabs and welding on slotted (and thicker) tabs for easy adjustments.

Troy Ermish sells slotted crossmembers.

Hey Paradime, haven't you ever seen Days of Thunder? A turn here, a wedge there... ESPN has excellent coverage.

510's are bad about dynamic toe change, which makes them, like an air cooled 911, tail happy. I was always very careful to stay on throttle in the high speed turns like 10 at SPIR and down the hill at Laguna Seca. But in the dirt, I could see that as a positive attribute.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
20 hours ago, Jason H said:

I understand, car currently has motor and race ready. I want to build a bigger replacement motor.  I always go all out on my motor builds. Always, good rods, balancing, etc.  Spend a few hundred now, or replace motor sooner.

I am trying to get ideas on back up motor..

Like I said earlier about it being a custom motor, it will take more than just blueprinting and balancing. Getting the right combination of parts and massaging them all to fit together is custom engine building. Sounds like you know what you're doing already.

• Thanks 1

This guy has a 79 510, solid axel car, (first post) its gunna be kinda hard to slot the crossmember! But it is common to add camber on a solid axle circle track car depending on what kind of axel your running (floater).  For the class he's racing in (Holley 350) a first rate carb will set you back $900 bills!  Circle track guys are in a different world then the typical road racer.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, docbainey said:

This guy has a 79 510, solid axel car, (first post) its gunna be kinda hard to slot the crossmember! But it is common to add camber on a solid axle circle track car depending on what kind of axel your running (floater).  For the class he's racing in (Holley 350) a first rate carb will set you back $900 bills!  Circle track guys are in a different world then the typical road racer.

I got a good carb. Now is the next motor. My car has independent rear.  So it might not be a 1979.  

6 hours ago, docbainey said:

6 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

Docbainey takes the win!!!  

giphy.gif

Not so much. Watch the vid he posted of his car and it's a PL510 he's talking about. Now that I think of it, how about some picts of this car? Aren't we a bit remiss in our demands these days.

Edited by paradime
  • Like 1

I thought that was video of his Ford racing he mentioned,, as that is all i can pick out,, i see 4 nondescript cars,, a yellow pinto, a red mustang ii and a white fox body mustang..  Tell me exactly.. what are the other four .. 

Pics of this 510 or ban 

21 minutes ago, bananahamuck said:

I thought that was video of his Ford racing he mentioned,, as that is all i can pick out,, i see 4 nondescript cars,, a yellow pinto, a red mustang ii and a white fox body mustang..  Tell me exactly.. what are the other four .. 

Pics of this 510 or ban 

I am trying to upload pic.  I don't know how. Can someone please tell me? Thanks

32 minutes ago, Jason H said:

I am trying to upload pic.  I don't know how. Can someone please tell me? Thanks

You need to use a image hosting site like flickr then copy and paste the share img link into the text field here. 

Jason, does your car specifically have to weigh 2100# or any car/engine type/chassis combo In that class have to weigh 2100#? is your weight established by engine displacement and engine type, ie pushrod, sohc non crossflow, crossflow, dohc etc?

5 hours ago, paradime said:

Bump this

I have never done a flicker or anything like that. I can show pics in Facebook.  I have pics in my phone.  Send me your email and I will send you pics?  

It's a race car. All body lines have been Bondo over and etc.  

Car has a L20B motor and has won at Barona Speedway. 

15 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Seems like the owner is totally new to the 510 what ever year it is. 

I don't know what year it is. It had a matchbox distributor. So I assume it is a 1979. If you email me, I will send you a pic.  I have never done flicker or anything like that. 

• 2 months later...

Here is me on practice day. I was told at track car could be a 1969.  

I am new to Datsun.  I know allot about the Ford stuff. 

I am looking to build a custom motor to get more horsepower. 

I was thinking KA24, because of rod length. Ford's can't come close. For the camshaft, I am thinking the schneider .662ish lift. Obiviously biggest valves I can, maybe 280zx valves? Porting and polishing, long tube header.  

It looks like I might do the stroker build. With aftermarket rods.  

Does anyone have parts laying around that are good, they wanna sell? I need block and good head to start with. Single overhead camshaft. Also need a good crank for stroker build. We are allowed to go up to 2600cc.