Charlie69's 1984 720 ST Truck

Charlie69

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I came across a standard cab ST yesterday in a wrecking yard about 80 miles from my house and it is an automatic.  I have not received any of the automatic parts from Captain 720 that I traded AC and manual swap parts for so I will harvest what I need from this truck for the 84 ST King Cab.  The truck is blue with a blue interior so yesterday I purchased the plastic kick panels and the ST instrument cluster fo $40.  I am going back to get the wiring harness and the console with the gauges today.  If I have time I will pull the brake pedal, gas pedal, the emergency brake handle, the speed (cruise) control, carb, AC condensor, starter (new), and the transmission.

I am going to restore this 84 ST King Cab to original condition with a rebuilt Z24.  If the block is bad then I will KA with a 4 speed automatic I have had for several years.  Either way I go this truck will be an automatic when it is done.

Edited by Charlie69

Thank you DuallyDatsun.  Not sure at this point how much polishing I will do on this one.  Make it mechanically sound and a dependable driver then maybe a little polishing.. The interior will get the polishing first as it is a mess.

Well I spent a few hours pulling the rest of the harness, the steering wheel (rough ST) brake pedal assemby, e brake assembly, gas pedal,  AC,heater, blower boxes (all were badly damaged), pulled both seats, and the shifter.

I stashed some parts until I figure out if I need them or not.

I am thinking I wil pull the engine and transmission next week as this was a stolen vehicle that some one ran from the cops in to the point the right front ST wheel is ground down to the center of the wheel, so I am hoping that the engine and transmission are still usable without to much work.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I am back at it I installed new exhaust manifold gaskets on my 86 dailey this morning and re routed the EGR vacuum lines.  I had crossed up the vacuum lines a couple months back when I repaced all the vacuum lines.  Passed emission after this work and a new gas cap.

• 1 month later...

Johnny and three of his kids pulled the engine and the and the 5 speed trans for me.  We started at 6:30 am and by 10 am the engine was out of my 84 ST king cab.  They also pulled the engine and trans on 67 520 and a 3rd member from my 71 cab and chassis, had all the tools cleaned up and was loaded up pulling out of the gate.

I sold the 5 speed to them because I am going to a 4 speed automatic.  So now I have $50 in this truck.  This 84 was built in Japan and has a JDM block in it.  I have a JDM head that I will put on this engine when I get the engine built and the head done.

I was going to put a KA in this until I found out it had a JDM matching # engine in it.  I will clean up the engine bay this week.  Other than the Weber and the automatic  this will be a stock truck.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I have changed my thinking on this truck and will be rebuilding the numbers matching Z24 but swapping in the automatic transmission and cruise control.  I have the automatic transmission wiring harness, shifter, and pedal assembly.

I found a Z20 automatic today in a 1981 610.  As soon as it quits raining here and the ground drys out I will go pull the engine and trans.  I am curious if the Z20S is the long rod version of the Z20?

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

All exterior 720 cab sheet metal should basically be the same from 1980 thru 1982, 1983 on had the headlights dropped an inch and the bumper was enlarged so the front sheet metal/grill between the fenders were changed to fit, all 720 fenders are the same except for badge mount holes and added on fender flares for 4wd trucks.

• Like 1

Specifically, I'm looking at the 1980 720 KC and older. According to Wayno, it'll be the same from 1980 thru 1982. Thanks Wayno!

What interests me is the spoiler under the valance, that will attach to these lower grill / sheet metal items, for cosmetic aesthetics and eye candy, of course.

Just sniffing around for one right now.

`\_( :D)_/`

• Like 2

The front sheet metal was designed around the grill and bumper, I do not know if the spoilers are interchangeable thru the years.

I do know that 1980 was a special year, the radiator core support was a one year part, so were the bumper brackets, the radiator was narrow that year, 1981 on had a larger radiator, 1980 also only had one spot for the headlights to mount, 1981 on had the mounts for the headlights to be lower but they didn't lower them till 1983.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Rat-a-tat-Dat said:

An very interesting tidbit on 1980 front ends.

Do you know of any aftermarket spoiler attachments that would work?

Back when I figured all this out I had a 1980, and I had a bunch of other 720 diesel trucks over a 3 or 4 year period that I sold, I likely had close to 10 or 12 Datsun/Nissan 720s that I combined and sold or parted out of which half were diesel trucks, I learned a lot about 720 sheet metal.

It would not surprise me if all spoilers interchanged as they are below the bumper and the fenders where that spoiler sheet metal mounts are all the same, the issue is back in 2008/10 there were lots of Datsun/Nissan 720 trucks in the yards, sometimes 10 or more, but now if there are 2 that is a lot, I could run around and test fit parts back then, now one is lucky to find a good part when they show up in the yards.

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

Well I have a pleasant surprise, Shawn with the green 521 vert is giving me his rebuilt Z24 with about 10,000 miles on it.  So this Z24 will go into this 84 720 king cab ST.

Redeye the 521 KA mounts I won from you will be going into Shawn's 521.  He is picking up a Twin cam KA on Monday for his 521.

• 1 year later...

I recieved Shawn's rebuilt Z24, unfortunately he over heated it and cracked the block and the head.  Said temp gauge failed. 

That is OK I have the rebuilt Z20 and a stock 3 speed automatic for this truck.  Hopefully if all works out in the next couple weeks I will set the Z20 and atuto into this truck to gain some much needed garage space.  I will be working on my 520 again.  when I get my dad's estate finalized I will use part of the money to do interior work, body & paint on my 520.  So I need to get busy.  I will do a bonded title on the 84 720, this will be between $300 to $400.  When it is legally mine then I will get after it. 

• Like 1