Charlie69's 1984 720 ST Truck

Charlie69

I bought a really rough1984 720 ST? Parts Truck today.  No pictures yet I will get pictures after I get it home.

It is a 2wd King Cab with the head pulled about 17 years ago.  It has the intermittent wipers and the tac and clock.  Is a 5 speed and has 3.70 gear ratio.  It has a sun roof and sliding rear window, power steering, power windows, power locks, and AC.

Plans are to pull the titled 85 cab off the bent frame and drop it on this one.  After I clean out the 1984 bed and determine if the bed bottom is rusted out or not I will determine which bed I will use with the 1985 cab.

I will have to replace the core support on the 1885 cab.  I will use the lower valance, wiring harness and doors from the 1984.This one will get the VG30 or a KA from a 1993 hard body 2wd That I am picking up in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

It is a 2wd King Cab with the head pulled about 17 years ago.  I has the intermittent wipers and the tac and clock.  Is a 5 speed and has 3.70 gear ratio.  It also has a sun roof and sliding rear window.  It also has power steering, power windows, power, locks and AC.

I think this is the very definition of the ST package.  Is the pulse wiper adjustable? or fixed?

• Like 1

According to my dealer catalog from that year, it seems like all the options for either an XE or ST. If you go to the official Nissan parts website and do a vin lookup, it should give you more information on what options your truck came with. Regardless of whether its an ST or XE, you have all the right options, especially the sunroof. I'm very jealous! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Honestly Mike I am not sure if the wiper intermittent speed is fixed or adjustable.

Mike is there any part of the VIN that identifies it as an ST?

Look for the engine compartment tag, inner passenger side fender under the hood hinge.  It will display the

TYPE.................. KNY720

Chassis # (VIN).... .... JN6ND06YXEW301206

From '81 or '82 up the 17 digit VIN is used. It does not list your options but it will say truck, 4x4, where and who made it,  year, engine size, model and the sequential production number 301206

MODEL............. KNLY720TNF

K... regular bed

N... Z24

L... left HD

Y.... 4x4 (blank would be 2wd)

blank is DX model, J is GL model, S is standard model, W is dual wheel. I think DX is delux and probably includes the ST option.

T man. transmission K auto

N... Canada, V is California and U non Cal. (emissions?)

F... 5 speed

Trim................... 505 G.... paint code?

ENGINE......z24 (S).....2389cc

trans/ axle....... FS5W71B........ HF38

44 minutes ago, MaxChlan said:

According to my dealer catalog from that year, it seems like all the options for either an XE or ST. If you go to the official Nissan parts website and do a vin lookup, it should give you more information on what options your truck came with. Regardless of whether its an ST or XE, you have all the right options, especially the sunroof. I'm very jealous! 

The VIN doesn't really list every option. The ST was a package of options (like sun roof, gauge package, electric windows, intermittent wipers etc) I imagine you could order some of these options separately in a base model, maybe not. The ST is not listed but may be under the DX or perhaps the GL model?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The VIN doesn't really list every option. The ST was a package of options (like sun roof, gauge package, electric windows, intermittent wipers etc) I imagine you could order some of these options separately in a base model, maybe not. The ST is not listed but may be under the DX or perhaps the GL model?

I think the variable intermittent wipers are a dead giveaway, because those weren't on option on other trims, but were standard on ST and XE trucks. Same with the voltmeter and oil pressure /center console combination as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

I haven't seen a 720 yet without intermittent wipers. There were 2 kind. One was marked MIST and has a set delay interval and the other is a variable interval with a twist end on the stalk.

Oil and volt gauges were on all 4x4. (and 2wd ST I think)

• Like 1

Spent some time today with my brother Garret and made up a tow bar bracket to fit the 720.  It was made using 31" of I believe 3/16" x 4" channel and 2 720 bumper brackets.  total cost was the time to build it.  Did not feel like taking time to drill holes so my brother welded it together. 

This is so I can tow the 84 home to get to work cleaning it out.  I will pull the engine block and transmission to get it prepped for the VG30 and a 5 speed.  I have one located but the guy on offer up flaked out so I am going to check with a friend that owns a scrap yard.

My 84 720 King Cab 2wd has moon roof, variable speed intermittent wipers power windows & power locks.  It is a 5 speed.  It is odd though this one does not have the oil Pressure and volt meter on the console but will have in the near future. 

I hope to get pictures of it today.

Here are the pictures.

DSC02874.jpg

DSC02875.jpg

DSC02876.jpg

DSC02877.jpg

DSC02878.jpg

DSC02879.jpg

DSC02880.jpg

DSC02881.jpg

DSC02882.jpg

DSC02883.jpg

DSC02884.jpg

DSC02885.jpg

I pulled the instrument cluster and the center console to keep them from disappearing.  The odometer shows 136,000 miles and the person I bought it from purchased it broken down in 2003.  It has been parked under a tree since then.  Do not know how long it was parked before the owner I purchased it from. 

It had a blown head gasket.  The owner I purchased it from has a reconditioned head for the truck.  This truck will either get the VG30 or the KA24.

I also purchased a 1990 D21 Hardbody with a KA 5 speed.  This truck is a complete parts donor vehicle.

• Like 5

Went to the junk yard on Saturday and started pulling a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder wiring harness.  This is a 2wd VG30 automatic truck that matches the VG30 engine and transmission that a friend gave me. So 9 hours later (spread over Saturday and Sunday) and I paid $96 dollars for the harness, ECM, and the transmission control box I was headed home with the next part of the VG30 upgrade to one of my 720s.  I have the 85 that is ready for a mock up of the VG30 automatic. 

Before I work on this I am going to finish the wiring on my 520.  I talked to a body man and painter that is willing to do my 520. he needs to look at it to see what the price will be.

• Like 1