Rear Window: The Solid vs Slider Debate

CicliDevotion

My '83 4X4 currently has a slider rear window.  It's missing some hardware and one panel is broken...but I have a replacement slider to swap out.

I came across this pic of a nearly identical truck, though this one has a solid rear window:

1983-Datsun-720-4x4-pickup-03-640x425.jp

I am REALLY liking the cleanliness of the non-slider window.  So now I'm thinking about a solid for my truck instead...

Before I commit, below is my understanding of some primary pros and cons

PROS:

Better Ventilation

Cooling

CONS:

Less secure

Worse Visibility

Noisy 

What are your feelings?  Strong preference for one over the other?  Should I swap mine out?  Have a solid that you'd like to trade?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put a slider in mine in 89 so I could put long things in the truck and lock it (with a camper shell). Also allowed communication with the rest of the posse that was forced to ride in back due to removal of the jumper seats for speakers. Those days are long over and the sliding window channels are filled with silicone to stop the constant rattling  they aquire, still have the solid glass stored away. It will go back in one day. 

• Like 1

The idea of options for ventilation and utility make me want to convert to a slider. You can still purchase them new for reasonable . I’ll just keep my solid glass if I want to go back. I think with the standard cab the slider makes a little more sense because it’s so easy to reach . You could almost grab a drink from your cooler in the bed. 

• Like 1

Well it turns out that the spare rear slider I have is from a KC and won't fit in my single cab...so I'll have to find a new home for it.

Unfortunately, the slider currently installed has a broken pane (the static side, right behind the driver)...which is why I grabbed the spare from the parts truck.

Anyone have a good source for a solid rear for a single cab?  Bonus points if its in SoCal...

• Like 1

All years should fit if the truck has not been chopped and channeled.  You will need a rubber seal to fit which window you choose to install, slider or non slider.

I will be in the junk yards this week end and will measure early and late 720 regular cab back glasses to verify this.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Thanks 1

Seals ere different I believe.  I will compare my 85 ST slider with my 86 solid window today.  Both of these trucks are King Cabs as is my 84.

I will be in the yards on thursday and if there are regular cab trucks with solid and sliding windows I will compare them.

• Like 1
On 1/21/2019 at 9:19 PM, CicliDevotion said:

If I'm switching from a slider to a solid and the rubber seal on the slider appears to be in good shape, can I reuse it with the new solid glass?

On the KC at least, the slider seal is the same for the solid. Just swapped mine a couple days ago. SUPER easy. Popped out slider window, put old seal on the new solid glass, popped new window in.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, TheKelsoKid said:

On the KC at least, the slider seal is the same for the solid. Just swapped mine a couple days ago. SUPER easy. Popped out slider window, put old seal on the new solid glass, popped new window in.

Right on.  Thanks.  Any tips on popping out the slider?  Did you just use some tape-wrapped putty knives/scrapers and work your way around the corners? 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 7:55 AM, CicliDevotion said:

Right on.  Thanks.  Any tips on popping out the slider?  Did you just use some tape-wrapped putty knives/scrapers and work your way around the corners? 

Hey sorry I haven't checked my notifications in a while..

And just a putty knife and a buddy. Start from the corner from the outside while someone pushes from the inside. You will be surprised with how easy it comes out. Also don't be afraid to put a lot of pressure. At least my window flexed enough to come out easy.

• Like 2