'77 620 KC Project

G FORCE

Hey everyone! My name is Gabe and I live in Albuquerque. I've been a long time lurker with a few posts here and there but I finally decided it's time to start a thread for my newly reinvigorated project. I picked up my '77 KC up, goodness, 15 years or so ago now. I used to drive by to our family's property in the mountains and I would always see it sitting in the front field of someone's property. At that time, I had owned a '79 that my father and I had fixed up for me to drive in high school. Sadly I got hit by a run-away horse trailer (what are the chances??) and my favorite little rig was beyond salvation. Soon after, I picked up a '74 and enjoyed that for some time before letting it go to a new owner. As you can imagine, once I saw this KC rotting away it immediately ignited my long adoration for these trucks and I had to have it. $100 later I had it on a trailer and hauled it to my grandfather's backyard where it sat for 10 more years as life events happen. He passed away and it then migrated to my aunt's backyard while I was up in Washington 2 years ago. Thank goodness for family and their willingness to help out. I recently returned to New Mexico and plan to stay for the foreseeable future so figured it's time to get the ball rolling on this guy, which brings me to my first initiative: titling it...

The lady I purchased the vehicle from did not have a title for it since it was her father's truck and he had passed away long ago. I did get a bill of sale but that has long since vanished so I'm left with the arduous process of applying for a bonded title. I've gone to the DMV and I have the necessary form. I still need to get a surety bond and a VIN inspection, which brings me to a question that you all might be able to answer. Upon speaking with the state stolen vehicle department (it's not stolen, I've had the VIN checked already) they informed me that it should have a VIN tag on the dash. From my research on here, it appears there are only 3 VIN locations: door jam, engine bay and frame. I have checked all these and they all match and are intact. I just want to confirm that there shouldn't be a dash tag so I can properly educate them when they come to do the inspection.  Is my information correct?

That's all for now but I will update this thread as progress continues, albeit rather slowly I'm sure. Thanks in advance for the help and advice as I try to bring this awesome rig to proper glory! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The quick answer is your good, I dont think you have to have it on the dash... and im not sure when that really started.. probably when they went to the longer standardized vin numbers....

I just got my 521 on the road this year and it was funny i didnt even have the top of the dash installed when i went and got a sticker.... it wasnt till he went to look for the vin on the dash , I was like "oh ya , door jam".....

The VIN on the dash began with the later 720s.

The 620 has a...

Vehicle Identification Plate located vertically on the left (driver's side) hood ledge above and slightly behind the ignition coil.

Vehicle Serial Number stamped into the top of the right (passenger side) frame rail near the engine mount. Example... HL620 XXXXXX

Engine Serial Number on block behind the oil dip stick handle. Example L20B XXXXXX

MVSS (now called the FMSS???) The SS is for Safety Standards label is on the driver's door jam and contains the axle weights and the date of manufacture.

The Emissions foil sticker is on the underside of the hood.

Take a picture of all these and mention to them that the 17 digit VIN used now, was still 5 years away and before this car makers made up their own and there was little to no standardization.

19 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

The quick answer is your good, I dont think you have to have it on the dash... and im not sure when that really started.. probably when they went to the longer standardized vin numbers....

I just got my 521 on the road this year and it was funny i didnt even have the top of the dash installed when i went and got a sticker.... it wasnt till he went to look for the vin on the dash , I was like "oh ya , door jam".....

Glad you got your 521 though the process successfully! I'm hoping mine goes as smoothly!

datzenmike,

Thanks for the information, Sir! It absolutely makes sense there wouldn't be a consistent VIN location until the standardization and I have nowlearned something new and can pass that information on to them. I'll also be sure to take the pictures of the 4 that I have since the engine is long gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately youre dealing with NM MVD....

I went to MVD Express to register a trailer that was out of state. I had good results there, and the staff was better informed than MVD

A VIN inspection by an official NM VIN inspector goes a long way to getting it titled

Good luck

Here is just a curious note....Both of my 1200's and both of my 510's have dash tags.  All of them are 1972.

Too bad you are in 'Burque, I have had good success at the DMV in Moriarty.

Yeah, ABQ and their hassles and damned emissions get me every time it seems. Interesting on the dash tags, KELMO. Must be a a 620 thing with the no dash tag. Thanks for the well wishes, guys.

I started to check out MVDExpress. They were confident they could get the entire process done but it was gonna cost me $430. That was a bit more than I was wanting to spend but I was going to sacrifice the wallet for the convenience in this convoluted process. Good thing I read the fine print on the contract because MVDExpress can only do "level 2" inspections and if it does NOT have a dash tag, it requires a "level 3" inspection from an official NM VIN inspector. So, I decided to go ahead and just do the process myself.

Since finding out that info, I have gone in person to DMV and gotten the appropriate forms. I need to fill them out, get a Certificate of Title surety bond and then a VIN inspection and submit all the paperwork to the state Dealer Licensing Bureau, wait several months, and then if all is well, have my bonded title. The surety bond is $100, the on-site VIN inspection (I don't have a trailer, nor want to bother borrowing/renting one and loading my busted ass truck on it) is $106, and then the other misc fees will probably bring it up to the $350 range but I'm fine with that. 

After confirming more details I plan to obtain the surety bond this week and schedule a VIN inspection. I started a new job Monday so my availability has slowed but it's not like this is going anywhere fast...

10 hours ago, abbylind said:

At least you wont have to mess with emissions! I might be selling my 77 620 in the near future and not having to do the emissions game is always a good selling point....

That's a great point! '83 and older apparently.