1980 single cab short bed

Lt27

Hey yall, Im Michael. Just signed up and looking forward to new friendships! I recently just picked up a 1980 Datsun 720 single cab, short bed, L20B, 5 speed for $500. The body and bed are in great shape other than the paint, but im in need of help, advise, about some other issues. 1st and the biggest issue for me is it has a body lift made from treated 2x4 lumber.....smdh!!!! Where can i find factory cab mounts? 2nd question is im in need of the driver side taillight surround, housing, as it is missing. I have a lot of work that needs to be done, but will come in due time. This forum has helped thus far so i signed up 

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what i was thinking, but just wanted to be sure there werent some type of rubber bushing thats supposed to go between the frame and cab. i know the bed is hard mounted just like all other beds. I currently don't have the means to upload pics, unless i can straight from my phone.

• Like 1

I used 4" cedar blocks on my 620 with no down side.  The rad is going to drop with the body so be sure the fan clears any shroud. The front brake hard lines will also compress but hopefully back to where they were. Take yer time doing this.

• Like 1

I'm only taking the wood blocks out as they are rotted and split. The radiator is actually lifted with the rest of the body as well as the front bumper. Looking at fixing this for a daily driver to work and back, 51 miles one way, so i want it a little safer in that aspect.

• Like 1

No offense to anyone here, but 60 something views on this thread after introducing myself more than 24 hrs ago, I kindly expected a little warmer welcoming. Esp with all the help I've seen given on here, which is why I signed up to this forum. I've wanted a datsun 720 since my pawpaw taught me to drive his when I was 15, some 22yrs ago. I finally got one, but I know absolutely nothing about these trucks. Information on them, esp the l20b, seem to limited. I may just be looking in the wrong places and I can't seem to get the search function to work well for me. I'm not butthurt just surprised really. 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Your technical question got answered, and few people on here will follow links to see pics, so no one is just stopping in to comment on your truck.  Get the pics worked out and you will find more commentary.

Also you posted in a subforum that gets less traffic, so there's lots of guys on here who haven't seen your thread.

I've owned a bunch of 720s but never an '80, so I've never had the L20.  Since i always thought even the z24 was a little underpowered at freeway speeds, I've always wondered how they drove with the L20.

• Like 1

At higher RPMs Lockleaf.  I have owned more 1980 720s than I can remember!  Regular cab and king cab 2wd and 1 4wd parts truck.  I have a 1980 720 reg cab 2wd chassis from a $50 non running truck I purchased when I worked in Bagdad AZ at the open pit copper mine.