Chinese eBay electronic pickup distributor

81sunnyson

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-cyl-Electronic-Distributor-for-Datsun-Nissan-L16-L18-L20B-J15-HS-HIT4/323603629495?hash=item4b584785b7:g:3FEAAOSwc6paC64x:rk:1:pf:0

s-l1600.jpg

It might be EI. I once saw a much later Sentra? from another country and the EI part was somewhat like the 720 which has the module under the cap.

If a points distributor it would only have one wire. So I don't know.

I wouldn't try it unless:

1) you make an offer for $35, and he accepts.

or

2), you start a pool for $5 a shot, for people to guess how many days it will last before failing, and the winner splits the money with you.

Oh, and if you do, carry a genuine one with you, it will save you the cost of a tow truck ride.

Edited by G-Duax
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

To put in perspective Nissan wants $416 for a '79 620 EI matchbox distributor in 2004 dollars.

So buy a half dozen of them, and swap them out as they fail.

Believe me, after what I've been through with chinese alternators, and PowerMaster alternators, made in the USA (Bull Shit), anything related to electricity & china should be avoided at all cost.

I think the crap is worse then English John Lucas Elect6ronics (John Lucas, Prince of darkness).

• Haha 1
  • 4 years later...

there was a guy on here but dissapeard one he got it running.

I think its more a point conversion with new distributor (like a Pertronix or HOTSPARK than a true EI distributor so I would BE CAREFUL if running a EI coil and No ballast resisitor.

also The dist timing plate might not fit all the L motors some one said it works with the L20 dist pedastal. So you will have to find TDC and make the plate work or modify to make sure the dist points to number 1 when installing

L16 dist pedastal or offset different and farther in

I would buy one to try but I have som maybe distributrs to last another 50 years

• 4 weeks later...

They don't come with any instructions or labeling and the cap is not a oem unit, so whenever it wears out I have no idea what to replace the cap, and possibly rotor with.

• 5 months later...

I snagged one of these, thinking to myself: "Man, it's pretty cheap! It would be good preventative maintenance to try it out!"

That sucker never sent a signal to my transistor ignition unit ('75 KB210 Cali). I had the leads hooked to the junction block, coil-to-cap wire resting on my strut tower, and spun it by hand as I watched for spark. Nothing. Set up the original the exact same way, works perfectly.

I'm not 100% sure why the Chinese one doesn't work, I've been too busy with the rest of the car to think about it. At first I thought it could be the air gap between the pickup and reluctor ring.

Edited by ToastyBass

If hand held you have to have a ground wire!!!!!!!!!!!

Try reversing the two wires from the coil inside the distributor. Something about a rising or falling wave form.

InDpDXk.jpg

If this fails get a GM HEI module as they just need the trigger pulse. Again if no luck reverse the wires to the W and G terminals. HEI module MUST be well grounded.