[SOLVED] D21 Z24I to KA24e conversion, and other rambling

lovot

ignition timing reset, something is still wrong because it doesn't sound like it's firing properly on the 3 good cylinders, so it will start but it won't even get to a normal low idle, doesn't seem to care about the throttle plate position. I got the valve cover off, the intake valve for cylinder 1 probably isn't seating properly, there is around double the gap between it and the rocker compared to all the other valves. I suspect the computer doesn't like cylinder 1 being dead since it seems to base everything it does on cylinder 1. My gasket set isn't supposed to show up before Monday. I'll see about the carb and independent dizzy since the low pressure fuel pump, and other systems need to happen regardless.

• Like 1
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'something wrong' is the cylinder with zero compression that's not working. Setting the timing and worrying about the other three is like polishing brass on the Titanic. Looks like the valve seat dropped, probably on day one you had problems. Head gasket wouldn't have helped or filing down the head. Time to stop and take that head back off. Seats usually drop from running out of water and severely over heating. Seats are usually frozen and the head heated in an oven. The seat popped in and the head cools and contracts around the seat and the seat warms and expands into the hole for a tighter than tight fit. 

IMG_0632.jpg

Hardened seat hammering soft aluminum. The head is probably junk after 5 min of running like this.

• Like 1

I'll definitely get in there to see exactly how fucked it is. Looking for engines and transmissions, transmission was full of grey soup, metal chips all over the drain plug, it worked a lot better after putting new gear lube in it, but the grey soup is not a good sign. I'm going to look further into replacing the engine and transmission with rebuilt stuff, can't get a random used engine since every time I get a used engine over 25HP it's about ready to be overhauled, hell even ones 10HP or less are a serious gamble.

Edited by lovot
  • Like 1

wayno I had my mid ratio apart because I found this...

enSzpJs.jpg

Found nothing until I noticed the lack of the oil gutter. Pulled on off a spare transmission and hammered and peened it over in place. The oil falls into the longer gutter riveted to the rear case that goes back to lube the rear of the mainshaft. 

482BZMW.jpg

• Like 1

Engine should be at TDC then pull head off. Once off never rotate the cam sprocket OR put it back exactly before installing and NEVER lay the head down as some valves will definitely me off their seats and will be bent easily.

When I was a kid my next door neighbor was my hero. He was always working on his '62 Pontiac. He set a socket in the combustion chamber so the valve couldn't be opened then climbed up on the work bench and leaned on the valve spring with two wooden hammer handles. My job was to quickly fish out the two keepers because my fingers were small..

• Like 1

Yeah, push rods would have disconnected from the rockers as the head is removed and the valves would all be shut. Take a look at the piston under the bent valve. If there's a crescent strike on it then the valve was open when installed or the cam turned after the head was on. If you were at TDC I'm guessing it was the #4 or #1 intake?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Would the Z24 intake and exhaust headers work on a KA24e head? I replaced the valve last week, and it helped it start up, but the engine still won't idle up, and it still won't stay running, and while the valve isn't making racket, it sounds like there's something mechanically wrong with it still (it likely needs to be rebuilt, had this happen before), I have a KA24e on order but it's probably going to be missing the exhaust, intake, and dizzy.

• Like 1

No, the intake will not work.  Exhaust will bolt up but the ports are the wrong shape so grinding is likely called for.

Dizzy can be made to work if you also use the oil pump drive shaft.  But only do that if you are staying carbureted.  And then i would suggest getting a d21 throttle body fuel injection intake manifold, slap together an adapter and put a carb on it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The only junkyard that would have had an intact Nissan with the KA24e in it got destroyed, none of the others have anything useful, any parts I need have to be ordered in, or robbed off of the Z24I if possible.

I got the KA24e, true to normal automotive douchbaggery it's missing a bunch of parts, despite being sold as a complete engine, (they clearly have a VERY different idea of what a complete engine is, last time I put an engine in something it came basically ready to run, just hook up all the tubes, wires, throttle cable, put fluids in it, and it's good to go, but that was for a piece of industrial equipment).

Is the oil pan off the Z24I going to fit, or do I need to find one? I already have a rocker arm cover, and intake on order, going to see if the local auto stores have the water pump, water pump pulley, and fan clutch, hopefully the fan is the same.

Would the flywheel and clutch mount up?

• Like 1