• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it has this engine, its a 1980

DOTJ-BlackDatsunTruck-16-466x350.jpg

I has a Z22 engine then an '81 though December '82

If a Z24 or a Z20 engine then Jan '83 and older.

If the front disc brake rotor is NOT vented then its an '80 through October '82 truck.

If it has a vented rotor '83 and up model year and built after November '82.

If the rear brake drums have self adjusters it is December '81 or older.

• Like 1

Welcome to the fun....

I always wonder where the new members are from, not many out my way so I like to look, and I see we have all the same vehicles....

I have a 72 521, 99 Silverado, and a 2000 gsx600....

As far as posting pics you need a hosting sight like postimage, upload pics there copy and post link here...

• Like 2

Take your time. You'll get it.

The 720 spanned the introduction of the industry standardized 17 digit VIN code starting in '82 . There are earlier ones, but most auto makers just sort of made up their own codes.  Look on the TOP of the passenger side frame rail, just forward of the engine mount. Basically under or behind the alternator. It's going to be a tight spot to get at but wire brush or sand the rust away and the VIN is stamped there. Even the earlier one will have some valuable information in it.

• Like 1

M is the code for the Z22 engine but there should be more before the 720

example... KMLGY 720 XXXXXX

K..... king cab E... heavy duty. either is a short wheelbase

M.... Z22, H is L20B...N is Z24...

L .... left hand drive

G.... long bed , no G is regular bed

Y.... 4x4 , no Y is 2wd

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Juiceygixxer said:

It looks like block is stamped z20

F... would be for a Z20. As in FL 720

Q9xYbRS.jpg

A Z20 would be a Mileage Option available from Nov. '82 on the '83 model year and continued through Dec '85 or half way through the '86 model year when the 720 was replaced by the D21.Hardbody. The engine was 9 to 1 compression and has a knock sensor and an ignition retard because of this. They only came with carburetors, 240mm clutch, federal emissions, 2 wheel drive, 5 speeds and a 3.364 differential gear set. It was aimed at fleet operators and the best mileage possible such as the Dept of Highways.

10 hours ago, Juiceygixxer said:

M720-007469 that's vin on frame 

Yes I found a reference to an M720.  This was the precursor to the auto industry change to the 17 digit VIN  some time in '82. On the Nissan 720 it was Nov. '82. The M720 then became the JN6NDOIS...... I find the 007469 vehicle number as being produced during October '81, but this is at odds to it having a Z20 engine in it. I'll keep digging

• Like 1

A Z20 can easily be fitted to another year 720 that had a Z22 or Z24 engine. Perfect fit.

If I go with the frame then it's Oct. '81 but there were no Z20s then.

If I go with the Z20 and ignore the frame M720 then the frame number 0007469 was produced April '83. 

The tie breaker would be a picture of the front disc brakes. If vented rotor it would agree with the Z20 engine. Or it could get worse. ?  At the end of the day a vented rotor would indicate an '83 and up truck

• Like 1