620 / KA24DE swap underway! pics pics pics.

620_Brian

13 hours ago, 620_Brian said:

FrankRizzo - do you have a KA swap? I didn't even think about there being interference with the compressor / steering box.

I have the 240sx bracket and compressor - its tiny.

Let me know if you've already tried this...and if so got any pics?

I bought a compressor, idler pulley and factory brackets off eBay for an S13 KA24DE. No way will it fit, it hits the steering box.

Stevie - is this something you could fab? Im having a hard time trying to figure out how to mod and keep the pulley lined up...

• Like 1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn. Damn damn damn.

Well ok thanks for the info.

So there you go Stevie you've got at least 2 customers needing a custom KA compressor mount.

I'd be happy to send you the OEM bracket assembly and a compressor for mock up purposes...

• Like 1

Fabricating accessory brackets is a job that requires a degree of precision. Most factory Nissan brackets are cast steel, so modifying them is not easy to do.

If going the route of building new compressor brackets, maybe it's time to upgrade to a more common or commercially available compressor, one that may be smaller or have a manifold location better suited to the 620 installation.

No help, I know, but things to think about before you get started.

Is it possible to swap to the 720 style steering box and idler arm without screwing up the steering geometry?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Fabricating accessory brackets is a job that requires a degree of precision. Most factory Nissan brackets are cast steel, so modifying them is not easy to do.

If going the route of building new compressor brackets, maybe it's time to upgrade to a more common or commercially available compressor, one that may be smaller or have a manifold location better suited to the 620 installation.

Yep, my new alternator bracket will require a fixture to maintain it's indexes.

I like the idea of keeping the factory components, but there are some quality, smaller package units available. Would take a bit of research to find the right one. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

No help, I know, but things to think about before you get started.

Is it possible to swap to the 720 style steering box and idler arm without screwing up the steering geometry?

The Sanden compressors are all about the same physical size, so swapping does not really help in our situation. 

And the compressor mounts on it's side...and bolts thru the bracket that holds the idler pulley.

Here is some good info on the differences between the S13 and S14 compressors. His SR20 brackets dont help us though...

https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=429488

Bracket:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3
On 5/7/2019 at 11:09 AM, ]2eDeYe said:

I like the idea of keeping the factory components, but there are some quality, smaller package units available. Would take a bit of research to find the right one. 

Me too, but there may be one that has a better positioning of the inlet/outlet. One that you can buy aftermarket nipples or manifold for.

• Like 2

I thought I read somewhere on Ratsun a year ago that at least 1 person had used the KA compressor just under the exhaust manifold. If I remember right, they used 1/4” thick plate steel, drilled holes in it to use the old power steering pump mounting points, then drilled holes in the plate for the compressor to mount to.

i imagine they used the same bracket from the Picture above in its stock location and used it just as a tensioner.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 11:41 PM, FrankRizzo said:

I bought a compressor, idler pulley and factory brackets off eBay for an S13 KA24DE. No way will it fit, it hits the steering box.

Stevie - is this something you could fab? Im having a hard time trying to figure out how to mod and keep the pulley lined up...

Here is the post that mentions someone making a simple bracket to mount in place of steering pump.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now that the KA is in and I can see the tiny area we have to work with next to the steering box, I think...I can fab up a simple flat plate to mount to the block using the original 4 holes.

The oem compressor could mount to that. It will have to be a tiny compressor, which the oem is. I think I've seen some even smaller at the bone yard - Mazda RX8?

The idler / tensioner is another story, but I think it can be done.

I'll post mock up pics soon.

• Like 4

It looks like that other guy ^ did exactly what I was saying....and it looks like he used "all thread" or something to mount the compressor to adjust the belt?

I'm all over it..cardboard in hand. Standby.

• Like 3

Ok.

Beware that a lot of the aftermarket "universal" compressors (I'm thinking Sanden)  have bulky mounting brackets. And the ports are not always configured in a helpful way. Lots of OEM compressors are packaged in a much tighter way, but you need to think of the hoses before you mount them. Finding manifolds for OEM compressors can be very hard, and you may end up having to make them.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1

Ya I have one of those giant Sandens that came with my under dash kit. Worthless for this application.

I have the 240 oem one that is fairly compact and it still has the manifold / ports attached.

I'm told by my local "AC Guy" that he can fab the hard and soft lines no problem.

We'll see.

I'm going to get the compressor and condenser mounted and let him have at it.

The under dash unit is already mounted and hoses are mocked up.

• Like 2