1979 620 build in Utah

Utahskier

The compressor is sized to cool the interior and doesn't care if a 4 cylinder or an 8 is turning it. I can't see there being a V8 compressor.  I've walked through wrecking yards and all Fords from an F350 crew cab diesel to a Taurus use the same compressor. So does GM vehicles.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The compressor is sized to cool the interior and doesn't care if a 4 cylinder or an 8 is turning it. I can't see there being a V8 compressor.  I've walked through wrecking yards and all Fords from an F350 crew cab diesel to a Taurus use the same compressor. So does GM vehicles.

Always learning, datzenmike knows his stuff!

Edited by Utahskier
Misspelling

Just mentioning it from prior experience, Don't skimp on engine internals! You've taken it all the way down....I'd get everything that is replaceable/worn, other than the crank, brand new.

Are you sure you have a 4 spd? My '78 is a 5 spd.....just wondering?  

6 hours ago, NVFireFighter said:

Just mentioning it from prior experience, Don't skimp on engine internals! You've taken it all the way down....I'd get everything that is replaceable/worn, other than the crank, brand new.

Are you sure you have a 4 spd? My '78 is a 5 spd.....just wondering?  

Yes, I agree.  Ya it’s definitely a 4 spd ?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Five speeds, basically borrowed from the 280z car, were an option on the '77 and up trucks.

Haha, I didn't know you could option these trucks out? Glad mine got the 5 spd!

Thanks Mike.....

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 12:54 AM, Utahskier said:

Desmogged exhaust manifold the right way thanx to Datzenmike 

Loving this thread, not sure how I haven't seen it before! If i can half emulate your progress ill be a happy man!

Do you have the details to hand of the bolts required to fill the holes in the mani?  Thanks

• Like 2

Thanks!  Your truck looks awesome I’ll bet it turns a lot of heads in the U.K.!  I love your country, went there for the first time 2 years ago, Bath was my favorite!  

I took my manifold to specialty fastener shop and they helped me find the bolts with the proper pitch and thread.  If the manifold is off the truck, this is by far the easiest route.  I also used copper antiseize and copper washers.

I’ve read a post from datzenmike using brass plumbing plugs from Home Depot (Common American hardware store). I’m sure U.K. has something comparable, or would be easy to order online.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Utahskier said:

Thanks!  Your truck looks awesome I’ll bet it turns a lot of heads in the U.K.!  I love your country, went there for the first time 2 years ago, Bath was my favorite!  

I took my manifold to specialty fastener shop and they helped me find the bolts with the proper pitch and thread.  If the manifold is off the truck, this is by far the easiest route.  I also used copper antiseize and copper washers.

I’ve read a post from datzenmike using brass plumbing plugs from Home Depot (Common American hardware store). I’m sure U.K. has something comparable, or would be easy to order online.  

Cheers mate. I haven't started restoring mine yet, it's been sat in the garage a year but this year it is getting some attention. I'm going to take the manifold off and try to measure the pitch so I can order online. Will post on here when I have the numbers.

Following this thread with interest, keep up the good work!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...