Utahskier

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Seeker > 620 KC said:

Hopefully someday , dream, hope, wish, someone will reproduce those seals that accept the trim. Are you putting the AC back in?

Yes it gets really hot here.  It needs new system though as the factory air is toast and it’s hard and expensive to find the Freon it takes.  Do you have any recommendations?

Ya I looked and looked for window gaskets that would take the trim.  Felt lucky to find any gaskets at all.  I hope the Thailand stuff from eBay will last on the rear glass, windshield, doors etc.  The opera window gaskets were pretty expensive for what they are but they seemed higher quality 

Generally, increasing horsepower and mileage, is mutually exclusive. Where do you drive most.... highway or around town?

Highway

Of all the 620s the '79 used a low 4.11 differential, all other years were 4.375 or higher. This was to lower RPMs to improve mileage but at the expense of acceleration. If you drive primarily on the highway a '79 5 speed will lower 5th gear engine RPMs by almost 12%. You won't get 12% better mileage but it will be slightly better. The '79 4 or 5 speeds use the same lower gears so acceleration will be the same in town. Additionally you could find a 3.90 differential from a later 720. This will drop acceleration in town but further improve highway mileage.

Town

Find a 4.375 differential from an earlier 620 to improve acceleration. Gas mileage in town won't change much because you can always drive around in a higher gear now. Mileage on the highway won't be as good as the 4.11

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Generally, increasing horsepower and mileage, is mutually exclusive. Where do you drive most.... highway or around town?

Highway

Of all the 620s the '79 used a low 4.11 differential, all other years were 4.375 or higher. This was to lower RPMs to improve mileage but at the expense of acceleration. If you drive primarily on the highway a '79 5 speed will lower 5th gear engine RPMs by almost 12%. You won't get 12% better mileage but it will be slightly better. The '79 4 or 5 speeds use the same lower gears so acceleration will be the same in town. Additionally you could find a 3.90 differential from a later 720. This will drop acceleration in town but further improve highway mileage.

Town

Find a 4.375 differential from an earlier 620 to improve acceleration. Gas mileage in town won't change much because you can always drive around in a higher gear now. Mileage on the highway won't be as good as the 4.11

Ya I was just thinking a new AC would rob less horsepower by virtue of less weight and make it more efficient because it’s easier to turn....I’ll be doing mostly highway miles with the truck.  I really appreciate the help, just incredible to have advice from gurus like Datzenmike, Draker, and Seeker.  I’ve been reading your stuff for two years in anticipation of doing this 620.  

There is a guy local to me that built an ac system for his 620 using an ebay under dash unit. Then he had custom hoses made at a rubber shop. He used a compressor from a v8 of some sort, but mentioned it robs a bit too much HP. I'd probably look at adapting a compressor from a small modern motor. You'll need to make your own bracket of course. I want to say the reason he went with a v8 compressor was because of the hose fittings. Otherwise if you pull from a scrap yard, you'll need to pull the hoses to go with the compressor.

Edited by Draker
  • Like 1

Went to my local machine shop today and checked the progress.  The cylinders did need to be bored the crank only needs to be polished.  Needs new exhaust valves in the head.  Needs New oversized pistons here is a pic of beautiful reconditioned block:)9-E328754-61-F1-453-D-A83-F-C1-D25284-F8

Edited by Utahskier