Sign in to follow this  
MaddieCycle

Clutch master cylinder cover problem

Hi - having trouble getting the clutch master cyl cover back on.  The ears on the cap don't seem to want to ride over the tabs on the reservoir when I twist the cap on.  Tried so hard it broke one of the ears on the cap.  I figured maybe the cap was so old it was dried out and deformed, so I got a new one. Still can't get it on.  Any tricks? Thanks!

• Like 1

Did the cap come off this master? I'm saying it was on? now it won't go back on?

Put the cap in a baggie and soak in boiling water to warm and soften it.

• Like 1

The tabs don't lock on the two of mine either.  The tabs on the cap allow it to snap over the raised ridge on the edge cylinder reservoir.  The tabs on the reservoir really don't appear to serve a purpose because they are too big to fit under the tabs of the cap; aligning text on the cap, maybe.  You are good to go as is, the cap is in place.

• Like 2

Yeah, I was going to say I don't think they twist to a locking position, they just pop on/off

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always thought a half turn

• Like 1

Same issue here; I just turn it until it is kinda tight and just roll. 

• Like 2

Yeah I just gave up on trying to get the tabs to snap on. I would up taking a piece of HDPE plastic, epoxied it to the cover, dremmel-ed a channel in the top, and ran a beefy wire zip-tie around the thing and down below on the body of the cylinder, now that darned thing won't come off next time I hit some California freeway potholes.

• Like 1

Get the correct cap. Replace the entire reservoir if you have to. They work on all other cars. Don't half-ass this.

It has to seal out moisture in the air from absorbing into the brake fluid and lowering it's boiling point... this is critical. Your braking system is the most important safety device on your vehicle.