Sign in to follow this  
Kodu411

1967 411 Bluebird Engine conversion

Guys,

I'm New to 411 and please help with this conversion.. 

my current engine is J series  3 sp manual and very  tired.. im middle of rebuilding all the suspension and brakes.. I was thinking to do a engine convertion.. I realley appreciate if some one explain my options..

thank you

• Like 1

I probably won't be too much help here but.....

The "J" motor and the "A" motor are almost identical in design. In your part of the world "A" motors seem to be more available. Or more to the point, there seems to be more Sunny's over there than over here.

My guess is that your 3 spd is a column type affair and most 4 spds will be a floor type shift.

• Like 1

thanks guys.. I will look for a A tye engine.. at this stage I need something simple and less effort.

• Like 1

I would highly suggest not swapping. Pull the engine, give it new rings, cam, dual carbs, header.
https://ratsun.net/topic/6785-e1j13-interchangeability-with-mgnash-parts/

This thread should be a sticky in the 411 section. 

• Like 2

On a J13 3 speed? Rebuild, yes but this engine only has 3 main bearings unlike the L series which have 5 and can bear the weight of the golden gate bridge.

The later A series had 5 speeds too.

• Like 1

Thanks for info huys.

I found A12 engine .. just wonder how hard to put them in to 411.. also my J13 has 3sp column.. can i fit 4speed in to J13 engine..?

• Like 1

If getting an A series, get an A series transmission. There were 4 and 5 speeds. The 5 speeds are quite rare as they also fit MGs.

The '66-'68 520 and '69 (first year) L521 were J13 with 4 speeds.

• Like 1

yes I can find A series engine with 4speed gearbox.. since i havent done ths b4 wonder how hard to do the engine mounts.. or can i use A series engine mounts 

thanks

• Like 1

You have me there, I have no idea. Hopefully the transmissions are same length or the driveshaft will need modifying too.

• Like 1

A lot of welding to subframe is required for the a-series oil pan to fit. I welded custom motor mounts.Header and steering box are tight.  Check my build in project datto “a 410 goon moves to Hawaii”

• Like 2