1967 411 Bluebird Engine conversion

Kodu411

Guys,

I'm New to 411 and please help with this conversion.. 

my current engine is J series  3 sp manual and very  tired.. im middle of rebuilding all the suspension and brakes.. I was thinking to do a engine convertion.. I realley appreciate if some one explain my options..

thank you

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably won't be too much help here but.....

The "J" motor and the "A" motor are almost identical in design. In your part of the world "A" motors seem to be more available. Or more to the point, there seems to be more Sunny's over there than over here.

My guess is that your 3 spd is a column type affair and most 4 spds will be a floor type shift.

• Like 1

I would highly suggest not swapping. Pull the engine, give it new rings, cam, dual carbs, header.
https://ratsun.net/topic/6785-e1j13-interchangeability-with-mgnash-parts/

This thread should be a sticky in the 411 section. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

MG 1.8L engines are one of the better engine swaps, just keep your J13 sump and pickup to suit.

Engine mounts will need fabrication, and you will need to get a new driveshaft to match. It's a slippery slope in costs once you get started, so if you aren't chasing power, I'd consider a J15 from a 620 ute (they are cheap over here).

If you are more hands on like the guys above, get the grinder out and go nuts, but those kind of mods on crossmembers require engineering in Australia, unless you are a master and can make it look factory.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, datzenmike said:

On a J13 3 speed? Rebuild, yes but this engine only has 3 main bearings unlike the L series which have 5 and can bear the weight of the golden gate bridge.

The later A series had 5 speeds too.

A bit late on this comment but the metric R1600 roadster engine has 5 main bearings.  The need to route the exhaust through the left front fender, avoiding interference with the carbs and the starter solenoid would be eased due to the right hand drive in this case.  No carbs  and no steering worm interference. You could use 510 starters. Just routing the exhaust would take ingenuity.

An added bonus is that this metric engine can fairly easily be upgraded to 2 liter capacity.

Edited by MikeRL411
Added fact.