When was the last time you cleaned your "center" 510 cowl drain?

rosso

I didn't even know we had a cowl drain on the 510 - just never thought that far into where does the water go from the wiper area.

It drains out about 1" back down the transmission tunnel in the center. It is only a small slot opening (maybe 4mm and 70mm long). Red arrow in photo.

45703840874_20725b43b6_z.jpg

You can get a wire up into there easily if your engine is out like mine is. Otherwise from the top might be easier after you take the cowl off 

My car was last registered in 2004 so that makes it 14 years since it's been cleaned. Here's what I got out.

32554858388_06ecf6b528_z.jpg

Edited by rosso
added center to title
  • Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the cowl drains are on each side and empty out behind the fenders. Or maybe I should say that there re two other drains? The 510 uses two rubber hoses,  67815-21001 RH and 67816-21001 LH. Have a look up under there.

The hoses can rot away.

• Like 2

I peeked back under the cowl and yes there is a drain on each side under the wiper pivots. Had to shine the light in and bend way over.

I guess I have to take the finder off to check the rest of it?

Searched for image but not found anything yet - does anyone have a diagram or photo?

Looks like zcardepot has a 3d printed replacement but no picture of where it goes to exactly.

• Like 1

I assume the hoses just dump outside the plenum. The 710 just has an openings for this and so does the 620... maybe all Datsuns after the 510. These are easily plugged with pine needles and maple keys that get through the louvers. I've never had my cowl cover off but I will and clean these out with a garden hose.

I expect to have my 710's L20B out this summer and will look for that center drain.

• Like 1

I never noticed that there was a dump from the grate's big basin down there. I always assumed it went to the ends and through the rubber hoses. It's actually a really annoying little piece, because it juts into the interior of the car and if it leaks (or outright rotted off), it dumps into the car. But Mike is right that the "main" dumps on the side of the drain go out into the fenders. I don't have any pictures, but I'm pretty sure that it outs right behind the front wheel. 

As for the really small slit, I can't say I have EVER noticed it. I live in California so it doesn't rain enough for me to notice it, but I can see how it'd be annoying, the water just dumping on top of the tranny. I don't know whether you are looking to open it up or seal it, but either way, is there a way to hammer the slit closed or use a prybar to open it up a bit? I feel like tacking on that 16$ piece of steel is overkill. 

I worry about rust more so than crud gathering in that crevice. I don't want to know what the metal on the inside looked like... I actually lathered Por15 in that entire basin. It's super prone to rusting and is something that you never see until it's way too late and rusted through.

I would try to seal the opening up at it's top, inside the basin. That way no water OR crud gets down there. Let the water gather and flow out the sides. If you're already looking at tacking work, a simple steel plate would close the gap (and it would be unseen).

• Like 1

I removed mine totally and it looks fine after the engine bay was painted. Since most of the stock items are gone from under my hood, it is not really necessary anymore, but, I still do have my side drains and they are nice and clean! 

It is also a good area for running wires and lines if you are cleaning up the engine bay. 

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...