From Back Seat to Speaker System

BambooU

Wanted to share my experience of creating an alternative to the 510 back seat. I've been experimenting a lot over the last year or so with different styles. After I put in the roll bar, it became pretty obvious that I couldn't use the back seat anymore. So I decided that the back board of the seat would be a great place for two 6x9's. So I did about 80,000 measurements, made a mock up and started cutting.

IMG-1089.jpg

The speaker and head unit I decided to get was a Pioneer DEH-S6000 series 6x9 set.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first major problem I ran into was that the speakers, inside those holes, hit the gas tank. I needed about 2.5 cm more to comfortably clear the tank, so I grabbed some nylon i had lying around and made some spacers. Probably not the cleanest or best way of doing it, but it was the easiest. 

IMG-1060.jpg

IMG-1074.jpg

So after a few days of mock ups and a few nights of brainstorming ways to mount this or that and a couple hours of hardware hunting (which was a lot harder than usual, thanks to Lowe's discontinuing Orchard Supply Hardware ?), I finally had a master plan, sure to never run in to future problems. 

IMG-1069.jpg

And of course half of the rivets broke loose and three holes were measured wrong, despite me measuring them two or three times. Oh well, fourth time's the charm, right? ?

So after making sure that the speakers fit with the spacers all up in them inside the car, I went to Joann's fabrics and got some weird cloth/vinyl hybrid material and wrapped the back/speaker board and the luggage shelf board. 

IMG-1089.jpg

IMG-1094.jpg

Nice work Bro. In all the 510s I've owned, none of them had a stereo. I LOVES my tunes, but in a 510 I'm focused on the engine. I installed a serious system in my work truck, but that was compensation for having to drive a truck all day. 

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...