BrothersGarage - 1971 521

BrothersGarage

44 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I had to dremel the backs of the lights off, glue the boards in, and then glue the back of the housings back on with silicone. The 521 lights would probably be easier.

That is basically every single LED setup I have seen. You gotta hot glue the LED board in place, or use some bolts and some nuts to space the LEDS close to your tails. Right now I have a total of 5 52 1ail lights  (2 driver -  3 passenger).

CqThFQO.png

Here is a picture of the most recent set I got from my 4 hour road trip have their interiors turning to dust from the last 40+ years of UV and are worthless hence why why I figured I might as well take some time to do something that I wanna do (mold making if needs be) and learn how to soldier with Bros help / guidance.  

oWZ2E5J.png

3ZuJUff.png

Hence why I wanted to say fuck it and grab some LEDs

• Like 1
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple tips: 

-Soldering is easy. Just use some good flux core tin/lead solder and a good soldering iron. Tin the tip often, or else it will burn and nothing will stick. I used to repair circuit boards in a former job. If you use good tools, there’s nothing to it. 

-Use RED LED’s behind RED lenses. There’s a common misconception that you can use white LED’s behind red lenses, but it doesn’t work very well.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, mainer311 said:

A couple tips: 

-Soldering is easy. Just use some good flux core tin/lead solder and a good soldering iron. Tin the tip often, or else it will burn and nothing will stick. I used to repair circuit boards in a former job. If you use good tools, there’s nothing to it. 

-Use RED LED’s behind RED lenses. There’s a common misconception that you can use white LED’s behind red lenses, but it doesn’t work very well.

Thank you much for the tips mainer! Very much appreciated!

6 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Never thought I’d buy a bag of pretzels for $11, but, here I am.

No joke, I am sorry for the introduction to a new addiction. They are awesome. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Still futzin with LEDs, but I have been tracking down other parts.

thisismatt was more than awesome and hooked me up with his parcel tray template:

LsfEFMX.png

Bro is going to make a metal tray for me from that great template

Ted from the 521 / DPAN groups hooked me up with a 411 SSS/Deluxe gauge face plate to do the swap later as well as the heater knob that I was missing for the green truck.

0kb7Fps.png

After looking at the 3m film I put on the center fogs that will go on the green truck, it keeps peeling up on the sides even with the heatgun / hairdryer treatment so I will likely go a different route before they're "finished" as well

q8EkaEL.png

mainer311  - how are those pretzels? 

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, d.p said:

Yo I have been buy those Dot pretzels like crazy.  I honestly never had a better pretzel in my life. 

Yo that's what the fuck I'm sayin! 

And thanks for the heads up, "fucking Ted" hooked it up!

Got to work swapping the gauges and found out there was fuckery to fix stuff that had broken in the past

5Z4kTkk.png

I am suuuuuuuper lucky that I picked up Ole Blue 521 so I am able to take parts for the green truck, before turning Ole Blue into a full 'drift' truck. 

zZ2v0RT.png

Old broken one on top new one has some scratches but I can paint it later.

iCpLvMi.png

took my spare cluster from Ole Blue apart

lQMLZgL.png

And then pulled the stock cluster that came with the Green truck - pic for comparison

RtlcYmQ.png

Plugged her in and got her all tested to make sure all the lights work and I had to snag one off the old cluster, but it works great! I will snag a picture of it lit up later tonight when it's dark. 

0TubpEm.png

And because I am a weaboo at heart.

EdHGNPm.png

• Like 1
3 hours ago, d.p said:

Love that deluxe cluster.  How much did it set you back? 

$150 for the cluster face - shipped and ted was generous tossed in the knob for the heater

51 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

The pretzels are alright. Not really worth the ridiculous amount of money. I’ll probably buy more, but only once in a while.

That's what I feel about these: https://www.amazon.com/Jade-Hawaii-Gummy-Packet-Pineapple/dp/B06ZY3DFJV - i can't get them in my area so I can't see myself doing it often, but the Dots I can get in stores here. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

daaayaaang,  I guess I got lucky on my deluxe cluster 🏃‍♂️

I've seen other posts selling them for like $60 on ratsun - but that was from yeeeears ago. I've also seen what the yahoo japan auctions for full clusters have been going for so I thought it a fair price for something that's a PITA to get your hands on. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BrothersGarage said:

I've seen other posts selling them for like $60 on ratsun - but that was from yeeeears ago. I've also seen what the yahoo japan auctions for full clusters have been going for so I thought it a fair price for something that's a PITA to get your hands on. 

At least you put it to use 👍 

• Like 2