BrothersGarage

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

There are 2 problems with 14's. There are significantly less tire choices, and they will not fit disk brake conversions now that Mikey isn't making his anymore. 

And both of these 521's are modded already - the green with 720 brake setup, and the blue that appears to be starting out with a 620 frame / brake setup. Nothing here is factory so might as well restomod these guys. 

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Putting more miles on the green truck and in doing so noticed it needed a bit of idle work. Turns out it was getting too much fuel from the external pump that was installed on the truck when I got it. 

Bro recommended I pick up a low pressure fuel regulator, so one off of eBay that included a gauge and would work with a Holley Carb - so it would be easier to tune:
KD2KSzF.jpg

I had already picked yup 12 ft of fuel line the other day just in case we had to do something like this, but we the kid didn't come with any fittings, so we had to run about to a couple of hardware stores and we ended up finding the right brass fittings that allowed us to get it all setup:

QadIj7K.jpg

Picture for where we ended up placing it (on the straight mount part of the fender well behind the battery as indicated by the pink arrow here. 

EfUyERb.jpg

Got it drilled and bolted in, and then swapped out the old plastic crap filters for a new one as well:

2epXCwn.jpg

We got her buttoned up and set to 3.5 psi of fuel pressure. Then mocked up a battery mount (as I'm missing one) and did a bit of carb tuning before calling it night. 

Here's a pic of the completed rats nest:

q0ayqcZ.jpg

After giving it a drive home I couldn't be happier.

giphy.gif

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Looks good.  I would suggest putting a 90 degree fitting on the guage so it would be easier to read.

Great suggestion! I'll add that to the list!

May have to end up starting a new thread dedicated to the blue truck, as I finally sprung as to a direction to head for a power plant today.

Swooped up a Manual Miata 5-Speed tranny today after work:
v0QwCgv.jpg

Hopefully going to meet up with a guy later this week to get a KMiata adapter plate and start pricking out a Honda K20/K24.

The build purpose of the blue truck is to make something that there is a ton of aftermarket parts for (can easily turbo or NA build) and if something blows up, I can easily piece it back together. Plus, Bro and I wanna do something not everyone else has done before.

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 2

Bro came though and picked up the KMiata adapter plate from a guy at Art Morrison
t0IibTa.jpg

That starts us on the road to mock-up phase for the Blue truck power plant. K20/K24 opinions?

PS: New build thread created for the blue 521 here: 

There was a nice small car show about 25 min away. Bro and I headed out there today and met up with some friends and then grabbed some food.

z7UPqP7.jpg

Ended up snagging this great shot after one of the show participants moved his sweet rig next to mine. 

ypY9jWn.jpg

Only one other Datsun there and it was an older guy with a MINT 240z. 

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 2

I got one, its not all that bud like you said it doesn't match John's anodized knobs.  Thanks to Ray for not having him make a choke or hazard solely based on the fact that Ray doesn't have either of them.  

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, d.p said:

I got one, its not all that bud like you said it doesn't match John's anodized knobs.  Thanks to Ray for not having him make a choke or hazard solely based on the fact that Ray doesn't have either of them.  

haha, that's why I bought 6 from him so I can make them match all the originals...headlight, wiper, choke, fan, hazard, & cigarette lighter.  I've been working to draw up the original icons in illustrator, but I'm not very proficient with it.  Then need to find someone to re-anodize and etch the icons.  I did get the hazard icon drawn up a while back...

Screenshot-2019-08-30-10.48.jpg

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, d.p said:

And Matt I’ll take a red hazard or a choke when you’re done. I figure you’ll have 1 left over. 

Well if you’re doing cigarette too maybe you won’t. 😞

At the rate I move you'll probably be dead.

I was just trying to work on the wiper knob...just reinforcing how little I know about Illustrator X(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are lots of different knob graphics, I have never seen that double line headlight and wiper knobs DP has, most my wiper knobs have a squirt line going straight up.

This is my 1969 Datsun 521 dash, but it is hard to tell what year the knobs are.

012.jpg

Edited by wayno
  • Like 3
46 minutes ago, d.p said:

Maybe ask John for the files? or ask Ray to ask him?I mean he got to have a file to machine them right?  How hard is it to machine something like that?

I don't want John's files, I want original looking icons.  I offered to make him original looking vector files to use, and offered to pay him extra, and it was like talking to a brick wall.  *crickets*  I'll finish 2d vectors of the original late style knob icons and I'll find my own machine shop to do it.  Yes, I'll probably spend a stupid amount doing it, but at least they will look good and I'll have all of them.

17 minutes ago, wayno said:

There are lots of different knob graphics, I have never seen that double line headlight and wiper knobs DP has, most my wiper knobs have a squirt line going straight up.

This is my 1969 Datsun 521 dash, but it is hard to tell what year the knobs are.

012.jpg

That's because they're some hokey generic icons with no attempt to match the originals.

• Like 1

Got a jump on the 3 day weekend and installed the flasher and realized the second knob I got was for a windshield wiper not headlights (hurr) but may have a line on one of those.

9oTUXOE.jpg

Takin parts from the blue truck's dash I got to work on the radio delete plate that someone painted a sort of silver / bronze color 

uASs538.jpg

hit it with a couple coats of white base before getting ready for what's next!

Yrry9ix.jpg

• Like 3