BrothersGarage - 1971 521

BrothersGarage

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i used that citrus paint stripper gel on engine bay on my barracuda gasser project and it turned engine bay white and did not wrinkle up like your wheels i wound up using glass media blast to strip off engine bay

10 hours ago, wayno said:

I did not read the thread again so I might have missed something, but something is going on with that cab, it is resting on the frame, it should not be doing that.

Currently, yes the blue cab is simply resting on the frame at this point. Before it gets bolted down I wanted to POR15 the frame. 

10 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Look at your frame on the blue 521 then compare it to a 620 frame.  That is not a 521 frame in my opininon.

Thanks for the lead! I will look into that.

6 hours ago, gene knight said:

i used that citrus paint stripper gel on engine bay on my barracuda gasser project and it turned engine bay white and did not wrinkle up like your wheels i wound up using glass media blast to strip off engine bay

That is what the citruls gel did the first time I used it and I did not use enough that it dried out. The times that I repeated the process I slopped it on with a paint brush and easily sprayed it off with a hose. Only prob is it took many more times than what regular aircraft paint stripper would normally do. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, gene knight said:

maybe i should have used more coats when i brushed it on

If you use it, just make sure to goop it on and you can always cover it with saran wrap / painters plastic as thisismatt recommended earlier in the thread and that will keep it working - drying out = just being a pain in the ass. 

• Like 2
On 5/18/2019 at 10:33 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You need to send me one of your stickers for my beer fridge. I frequently post pics of it on my IG page.

20171016_172134_zpshojmzils.jpg

Looks like that fridge could use a ratsun sticker :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I save space on this fridge for only the most exclusive stickers. And it's filling up fast.

How do I get a Ratsun sticker?

Send $3 for one $5 for 2 - paypal stepfor@hotmail.com 

Then shoot https://ratsun.net/profile/38-2edeye/ a PM letting him know you paid for stickers

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 9:54 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I save space on this fridge for only the most exclusive stickers. And it's filling up fast.

How do I get a Ratsun sticker?

PM me your address :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to drive the Green truck has been fight to keep her alive. I picked up a carb rebuild kit for like $50 and my Bro came over on Friday after work to take a look at what's goin' on. Ends up being a PITA vacuum leak. Head down to the local ace hardware and pick up a silicone screw cap for 23¢, and hit it with a zip-tie and the Green machine has never run better. Go figure. 😄 

Had some down time and got to work on the passenger seat with my Bro. 

XekiMxo.jpg

I got to work getting the big crap cut off, then he cleaned up my bullshit

CSXzLvV.jpg

close up of the rails

Z8gEfb2.jpg

ewpIe7N.jpg

got a mock-up of the rails put in

zInEYq4.jpg

Ended up getting the new mounts on the seats tacked up before switching gears to work on his front door and headed home before being able to test fit the passenger seat, but figured I would treat myself after all the hard work this weekend

knJQetg.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Because I am a big idiot who apparently is a glutton for punishment, I did some serious road-tripping today with more than 300 miles covered for some parts just today lol

I messaged a follow 521 owner who was looking for a fender and some headlights, that he should try ratsun, and the DPAN groups, and he said that his wife hand convinced him that he has too many projects and that he was going to part out his truck instead. Asked about tail lights (as every single other 521 owner) and he mentioned that someone asked if he can hold them for 3 weeks while they get the money but if I drove up with cash in hand I could have them. So 184 mile round trip later:

amqhRsK.jpg

The truck they come off of sat in a shed on a farm since 2001 when the truck was in a front end accident so they are SUPER solid - far better than the set I currently have on my green truck (i think these will go on the green truck once the're fixed up. Only problem is the backup light on the drivers side:

1Vx7k1I.jpg

but there are rebuild kits and my green truck has already benefited from one of them. 

Once I got home I got a message from Josh, a fellow 521er. He had a tailgate and bed piece I needed to wrap up all the body parts on the blue truck, so I headed out another 45 minutes to meet up with him today.

I was a stalker and snagged a picture of his truck rolling:

7ElIVUh.jpg

Funny enough, i snagged a shot of his truck at the Old School Reunion car show earlier in the year - https://ratsun.net/topic/75702-old-school-reunion-2019-bonney-lake-wa/

z43GyKB.jpg

Josh and I bused our asses in the sun and got me loaded up with parts:

SCUCuOc.jpg

and 45 minutes later I was home and the parts were on the truck:

1vZOJUZ.jpg

Then I ran back over to Bros house after he got his welder back up and running and we wrapped up getting the new rails mounted to the passenger seat of the green truck

mI2KCeh.jpg

owRWWpw.jpg

Super busy friggin day but at this point I have enough parts to 'complete' both trucks, and I just gotta start saving for the new Engine + ECU and management system for the blue truck while we tinker on both. 

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 2

got out early before it got too hot today and made a trip to the hardware store before heading to my Bros place. Got to work on the passenger seat brackets while he worked on his bug:

hx1aATn.jpg

test fit looked good so we drilled the brackets out and that's when i realized that i picked out new bolts after picking washers, and the washer i bought didn't have enough of a hole in them, so back to the hardware store before drilling the floor and bolting them in.

eKLI6K5.jpg

zipped around a bit before picking up my girl and going for a ride, nice to get a 2nd person in.

1kAPXs2.jpg

Wu6h3fZ.jpg

• Like 5

Did you check the offset before buying? Make the rims fit the truck not the truck fit the rims. If tire is outside the fender lip they WILL hit on bumps... just a matter of time. Rim diameter doesn't matter much if you get the same tire height to match the stock ones, or close. Me, I think the newer large rims don't look right on a retro truck that should show more rubber than an elastic band on the rims, but w/e. Tire rub shows enough homework wasn't done. Fender rolling not only ruins the look but removes structural stiffness of the wheel arch.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Did you check the offset before buying? Make the rims fit the truck not the truck fit the rims. If tire is outside the fender lip they WILL hit on bumps... just a matter of time. Rim diameter doesn't matter much if you get the same tire height to match the stock ones, or close. Me, I think the newer large rims don't look right on a retro truck that should show more rubber than an elastic band on the rims, but w/e. Tire rub shows enough homework wasn't done. Fender rolling not only ruins the look but removes structural stiffness of the wheel arch.

Yup! I figured that it would be 'flush' or close to and I dig the look of 'vintage' 15"s on these mini trucks. I won't be stretching a tire over these (making it look like a rubber band rubber) but they will likely run a little lower profile tires - if I put them on over the sawblades (likely to be a backup set of rims or something to work on at the same time and turn for a profit since I got them at a killer price).