BrothersGarage - 1971 521

BrothersGarage

I'm curious to see how far you go withe the floor pans. I would remove the entire section, from flange to tunnel, but that's just me. If you do go that far, you can recreate the dimples in the floor (around the body mount bolts) on a press with different size tubing for dies.

• Like 3
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I'm curious to see how far you go withe the floor pans. I would remove the entire section, from flange to tunnel, but that's just me. If you do go that far, you can recreate the dimples in the floor (around the body mount bolts) on a press with different size tubing for dies.

Just tapping around with hands and tools it looks like the front half of the drivers floor could use a cut and replace. The rest appears to be surface rust so depending on where / how much room we need after seat rails then that may determine if we remove them all the way to the back of the cab but at this point it may be unnecessary until it's cage time. 

bro with the teaser pic of the brackets before they get cut out of aluminum. 
qtGLW0t.jpg

2 hours ago, DanielC said:

I am working on floor pans on my 521 trucks.  See this thread.

https://ratsun.net/topic/51593-floor-repair/

Thanks Dan for the heads up! I've scoured your thread and you work here:

CabFloorPan.JPG

this is essentially what will need to be done on the drivers side

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

AGM batteries are supposed to be pretty good. Any thoughts on supporting such a small battery?

Hopes of keeping it small enough and create a custom mount in the engine bay and if not it should be small enough to fit in the bed under the 521 Fuel Cannister cover I got from Bory: https://offerup.com/item/detail/582211342/

• Like 2

Bro had the waterjet cut some aluminum pieces for the brackets for the floor this week. Just have to wait for one of the guys at his work to bend them on the press.

skri3m7.jpg

new alternator in and it actually starts when you want it to. go figure....

4Uht8ax.jpg

got a new battery yesterday and put it in as well, but I am waiting on some more parts from amazon before shes 100% road ready. The previous owner has like 4 wires that need to connect to the positive and it's all jankey so I will wait for the new power junction block arrives before buttoning this up. 

new steering wheel cover going on

XAF8xQ2.jpg

and all buttoned up

kp4mUps.jpg

i bought some drill weld removing bits but they were just moving all over the place when i tried to remove the old brackets on the floor, so i ordered one of these this week:

7VLNDxK.jpg

and put some more holes in the floor removing the old brackets

ZgF7OTn.jpg

got to work on chopping up the drivers seat this weekend as well:

15hp3CV.jpg

fS8lOlz.jpg

dRD3GAk.jpg

and down to the pans

0VlKFBN.jpg

i also ordered a 3rd brake light that will go in the rear window (between the glass and the seal)

SfJqgj4.jpg

12" full led strip from diode dynamics 

OyCioHL.jpg

Bro got a lot done on his bug this weekend at the same time including dropping the front of it by over 2" and ordering a bunch of parts to toss some air-ride on it. Overall super productive weekend.

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 5
On 4/12/2019 at 10:00 PM, mrbigtanker said:

Very nice. It’s running. 

Yup! got the wiring all sorted for now. Back to the seats when the weather drys up - it suddenly remember it's spring and has been pissing it down the last few days and they are going to take more than an hour of tinkering to wrap up. 

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 2
38 minutes ago, d.p said:

What are the specs on those?  And what did you pay? 

Vintage 15x8 American Racing Type 26 "Saw Blade" rims 6x5.5 lug pattern.

Bought for $75 and a 4 hour round-trip roadtrip with my brother yesterday. 

This is what they normally look like (though a 5 lug picture):

161418883_14-american-racing-sawblade-ar

but as stated I am going to strip / polish the lips and powder coat the faces of the sawblades.

The rims I bought my truck with are a another set of American Racing rims so I already have the matching center-caps.

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 4

Are they the huge chrome center caps made for fitting 4x4 trucks?

I modeled and 3D printed much smaller caps for my American Racing wheels that fit the 521 front hubs. If I happen across the file, you’re free to have it if interested.

dS9Qrdn.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bro and I have been working on some house stuff but in the down time I managed to get a first strip of the rims done while waiting on metal to finish the seats.

Busted out the valve stems first:

RYHZa2q.jpg

01TEbL8.jpg

mPK5kp4.jpg

x4

KVRcB9K.jpg

Toss down some cardboard and brush them off

fAOWbr9.jpg

before hitting them with a little of this:

kJtZBhx.jpg

30 minutes later and initial wipe-down:

cnhLDpj.jpg

first spray off:

xjMKZl7.jpg

rims looks solid but you will want to leave enough of the stripper on the rims so that it doesn't dry

I6FXxcX.jpg

Got under the black paint fairly well! It got under the stock clear coat fairly well too! You can see where it turned the clear coat a milky color where it didn't fully remove it on the first time, but I will hit it again tomorrow. 

QvarGYb.jpg

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 4

giphy.gif

2SN78wO.jpg

30 min later:

SWw2gLb.jpg

and bingo - bango: 

O83OdlV.jpg

going to need to hit them a 3rd time - but that should do it. going to pick up some new valve stems on the way home from work tomorrow, and order the paint for the blades. 

no update on getting the seats in. Bro and I went on another road trip to hopefully pick up some parts to finish off both of our Subaru daily drivers. I managed to find a new driver window / door switch but someone beat me to the passenger fender I need to 'finish' buying parts for it.  

edit: the end of round 3 is here:

amY7iFA.jpg

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 3