• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/18/2018 at 7:14 PM, datzenmike said:

I love it! Z24 power!!!!

Get those factory bumperettes back on there... right now. People have killed to have them on their trucks.

I have a set of the factory Bumperettes, but hadn't gotten around to putting them on, partially because I am considering getting a pop up tent trailer,  so I would need the tow hitch my steel bumper had.  

It's a good thing I didn't have the Bumperettes on at the time of the accident,  that heavy full length steel bumper probably saved my life!

20180717_090402.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
17 hours ago, BrothersGarage said:

That full steel rear reall took a hell of a beating. Have you figured out what you're doing for the rear end of sweet pea?

On 12/18/2018 at 7:14 PM, datzenmike said:

I love it! Z24 power!!!!

Get those factory bumperettes back on there... right now. People have killed to have them on their trucks.

I have a set of the factory Bumperettes, but hadn't gotten around to putting them on, partially because I am considering getting a pop up tent trailer,  so I would need the tow hitch my steel bumper had.  

It's a good thing I didn't have the Bumperettes on at the time of the accident,  that heavy full length steel bumper probably saved my life!

20180717_090402.jpg

I haven't quite decided what to do for a bumper on Sweetpea yet.  I am looking for a vintage tent trailer, because our club has several campout events.

Sweetpea will need to be able to tow a trailer, so I will either be getting another bumper like my old truck, or putting on a reciever hitch, & using my Bumperettes. 

• Like 1

Got to work on the passenger side tail light today  - picture to make sure I remember how it was hooked up

kabMkuy.jpg

took the busted ass light home and got to work with the new one

90VD6ZH.jpg

only snapped one! of the studs

cROWNvE.jpg

i pulled the black silicone off the lens to take a better look at what was going on

k5C4PBL.jpg

and it looks like someone tried to remove or / the reflector fell out of this one

XofYsM0.jpg

but it was super weak with the reflector missing and a crack running though about 70% of it all the way to the corner here

00dnQRi.jpg

I cleaned the areas where it's broken and then super-glued the corner letting it set. Then i super-glued the back of it so to not mar the face of the lens. 

While that set tossed a rubber band on it to make sure it wouldn't move and then started taking apart the new light

XsTVyv8.jpg

i knew it had a busted backup light

6rMgQMe.jpg

but I was hooked up with a new one

XdtYp1D.jpg

(orig on top new one on the bottom). I scraped the red over spray off the original one and let it sit in some vinegar to clean it up. 

unfortunately it looks like the new light was involved in an accident

UIXQMcJ.jpg

so it was busted into 12+ pieces

r8EOmaS.jpg

after an hour and a half of figuring out which part goes where / and making sure i glue them together in the right order i got down to the final piece

sp3XiWA.jpg

old tail light all cleaned up vs the new tail light all fixed and glued up

Er9ya5s.jpg

I am going to run the 'new' lens on the right for now because it's complete but if I come across a new reflector I am going to switch back to the one that came on the truck.

Part # 33-12001 for the reflector for anyone wondering

4ZZ9bfM.jpg

The above image is of the 'new' lens which someone in the past glued in all pushed out which is why i'm going to go with the original. 

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 3

light back on looks good from here

xR3wdXn.jpg

before:

YQHAnSQ.jpg

after:

OvCMaDJ.jpg

15 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Sounds good, you are painting the frames rightttttt..

Absolutely. They need a good soak + wire brushing + some slight tweaking and need to be hit with some paint before I will call them 100%. 

1 hour ago, paradime said:

Hats off Bros, that kind of attention to detail makes all the difference in the end. Wish I had the patience and skill. Well done.

Thanks much! All you need is some superglue + patience + whiskey + the weather finally on your side and you too can get it done!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

I love it. You know I think i have a spare set of clean not perfect Lens. I have to check and let you know if your interested.

Keep up the good work.

Sure! If you come across them while looking for something else, let me know! 

Thanks for the support guys!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Been busy helping my brother get his project back on the road. First time around 5 years since it's seen the open road - so after getting it out and dusting it off, we took it down the road from his place and ended up getting some awesome pictures tonight.

6Vt3kfW.jpg

8JcnYAi.jpg

Big smiles after seeing it back on the road.

K0HGWtZ.jpg

wjwJvhF.jpg

BZwn3T0.jpg

QbBva65.jpg

• Like 5

My dad had one when he was a kid. Used to be able to pull the engine, rebuild it, and stuff it all back together within a day. Had every bolt-on imaginable. His sister, and my aunt from the other side of the family, rolled it into a ditch on prom night. They managed to flip it back over and drive it home. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

More nice weather = more work. The old steering wheel cover was busted up, and the truck was thrashed before I got it

CJrJ019.jpg

took the ratty cover off and cleaned up the wheel a bit. a new cover is on the way until I replace it all together

VHqS2kL.jpg

sold the CRX driver seat that came in the truck to Bleach so it's time to do something about the blank space.

ryZgG1l.jpg

Passenger seat out and floor mat out, let's see what were working with

DNF2T8A.jpg

Same as everyone else here - rusty pans. 

p9sqKGo.jpg

both need to be redone, but the passenger side is more solid. I actually have some holes under the clutch on the driver side that will need to be addressed. 

Ar1keTw.jpg

back to the task at hand. sitting in it. I took the passenger Recaro over for us to toss into the truck to see how high they sit in compared to the CRX seats: ( '91 Jetta)

vSqnma7.jpg

They sit about a half an inch lower than the CRX seats do, but are much more adjustable, are much much thinner, and I really prefer the leg and side bolsters. problem is you still stare straight into the rear-view mirror and my hair is brushing the roof, so it's time to hack the fuck away at some perfectly good seats - and that's about how much we have to lose 2" - 2.5".

wd2fJ07.jpg

took time to protect the seat and keep all necessary parts that allow the fabric and seat together and save the factory hardware. 

7qmdgv5.jpg

aAHb73N.jpg

hDalqe4.jpg

1jBfZlh.jpg

zkmQRZT.jpg

cut the last tabs off and put her in to see where she sits now

L0Jhmng.jpg

that is still sitting on the factory bench bracket which pushes this up 2" higher than wanted but we are now getting closer to sitting at a 'normal' height. 

j1pIggx.jpg

more surgery and after cutting out the factory bracket - the seats now sit about an 1" to 1.25" below the window line

lgp2RqT.jpg

No more pictures, but we did manage to run out and pick up a new starter and put it in and that fixed the starting issue so she will be up and running after I get a new battery! (brother stole mine to get his bug turnkey which totally works for me as I wanted an upgrade). 

New seat mounts brackets are being fabbed up this week but the seat geometry has to be reconfigured since the entire bottom of the stock seat mounts are gone. Once those are done the passenger seat goes in first since if it's not 100% that's cool, but will make sure the driver seat is done 100% inline with the column. 

Next: Seat Brackets > Patch floor > add battery > wrap steering wheel > fucking burnouts

Also - removed the inner door-handles because I can't turn the damn thing without whacking the crap out of my elbow on them - going to have to do something about that.

Edit: Figured out a solution for the handles and I can't speel.

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 3