BrothersGarage - 1971 521

BrothersGarage

Whelp, only broke all the studs but 2 - even broke both screw heads on the middle brace by the backup light, but as rusted though as it was I am not suprised.

AIzUrKB.png

After a bit of clean up - you can see how good the bucket is

BTTYXVS.png

here is a close up of the crack in the lens 

oi1rLq5.png

Got her glued up and braced

piSXWhj.png

but I started running out of light, so I busted out the girlfriends hair dryer and sped up the process , then ran over the face of the lens with some 220 grit wet sand paper to finish it off

NJx5vZ1.png

And into the parts bin the lens and housing go. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 7:37 PM, mrbigtanker said:

Do you need taillights ? I have good lens and backings with 1 powder coated frame. Let me know. 

Thanks bud, I may hit you up but for now I am all set thanks to Dan. I now have a mint set that will go on this green truck, and the set that is currently on it will go one ole Blue when he's up and running.  

That leaves me with 2 extra back housings, 1 extra 'repaired' lens like above, 1 lens missing a reflector, 3 good reverse light lens. (and the 2 roached tail light frames) 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 7:37 PM, mrbigtanker said:

Do you need taillights ? I have good lens and backings with 1 powder coated frame. Let me know. 

mrbigtanker:  i need tail lights please. just let me get the 1's off your 521...lol

Edited by gene knight
  • Haha 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 8:26 AM, d.p said:

Jakesmakes on Facebook making repop tail lights and housings.  Look him up...good shit. 

He really does. I sent him my heater knob and vents to scan and he sent me a couple knobs back and they came out friggin awesome. At some point, I'm going to snag a set of the clear tails just to have. 

Weather is finally starting to not be shit so I'm tinkering on the green truck, and at some point I am going to tackle this nightmare

kd4Vz08.jpg

So I snagged a new baot/hotrod fusebox to tinker with and upgrade away from these old timey fuses. Gettin tired of having to go pop the hood, rotate the fuse in the dark and rain to get a headlight back or some wipers.

Ser2e1b.jpg

Unboxed and went though it, and followed the info from this thread for the standard fuse rating 

10 - 15 - 10 - 15 - 15 - 15 

Should be what we're lookin for

Q5oPnw4.jpg

But before I go chopping away on this truck I'm going to borrow Bros volt meter to double check since this has been all hacked up and came with an engine swap anywho.

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 5
16 hours ago, BrothersGarage said:

He really does. I sent him my heater knob and vents to scan and he sent me a couple knobs back and they came out friggin awesome. At some point, I'm going to snag a set of the clear tails just to have. 

Weather is finally starting to not be shit so I'm tinkering on the green truck, and at some point I am going to tackle this nightmare

kd4Vz08.jpg

So I snagged a new baot/hotrod fusebox to tinker with and upgrade away from these old timey fuses. Gettin tired of having to go pop the hood, rotate the fuse in the dark and rain to get a headlight back or some wipers.

Ser2e1b.jpg

Unboxed and went though it, and followed the info from this thread for the standard fuse rating 

10 - 15 - 10 - 15 - 15 - 15 

Should be what we're lookin for

Q5oPnw4.jpg

But before I go chopping away on this truck I'm going to borrow Bros volt meter to double check since this has been all hacked up and came with an engine swap anywho.

That new fuse box is fully bussed. Make sure the OEM one is the same. I don't think it is.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Post showed up for a 520 + parts for $300, so I did a thing.

Qa37PiS.jpg

After a 2.5 hour drive, we showed up and snagged the truck and boxes of parts. I'll take the front and rear glass, and the plan is to plasma out the floors to replace the ones in the green 521. The main reason for snagging it though was for the metal dash cap.

dcYHNAy.jpg

Dash itself is in great shape. Parcel tray is solid, so is the glovebox cardboard. Lots of extra knobs, and the heater is fantastic. The boot appears intact and it's still 'rubbery'. For some reason they just cut the wires to remove the cluster though... Steering wheel is also really nice (though not shown). 

DJ5c0zQ.jpg

Engine bay is intact with the factory battery tray. Fusebox is also there and in good shape. In the boxes I got a 320 horn for some reason lol, but there's a shit ton of blinkers / lenses in these boxes. Got the center caps for the rear rims as well.

fxhS7Jk.jpg

Grille, more blinker lenses, mounts, drive shaft, and glovebox contents.

2j2GilB.jpg

Factory hubcaps should clean up pretty well, intact instrument bezel, extra rear-view mirror, dome light, bunch of exterior door handles, and interior metal door pulls in here with the tail light lenses, headlight rings, and one of the headlight bezels. 

qM8e6Dj.jpg

2 radiators, extra cluster, another heater, the other headlight bezel, some heater vents, battery tie down, windshield wipers assemblies, and an old Datsun shift knob

iw2GdkV.jpg

There's another tote that came with it and I haven't gone fully though everything yet, but that's at a glance. And now the yard is starting to look typical of a Datsun owner:

xbF9FHx.jpg

• Like 3
16 hours ago, thisismatt said:

That was a great deal.  Early 520 had that style steering wheel/horn button.

Thanks for the heads up. I've only seen them used in the 320 style and this guy came with the same style as the other 2 with the long 'boomerang' style horn. 

9 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Ya that was definitely a great deal....

Brothers I'm sending you a PM about the exterior door handles.... i could use a driver's side if your selling the spares.....

Gotcha covered, lemme check the boxes. 

6 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Nice score.  Sweet dash, if the windshield is good then you have definitely gotten your moneys worth!

Appreciate it! Both front and rear glass are perfect, no chips, no scratches. 

• Like 1

the sun came out today so I was able to dig though the boxes and find all the goodies that came with the cab.

bxfb0q8.jpg

This looks to be the main haul:

1 set of 520 tail light lenses

3 2 sets of wipers

1 interior light

3 window felt strips (only one looks to be not fucked)

1 520 horn button

2 mag rim center caps (for the rims on the rear of the truck)
720 lights / dash lights / wiper washer switches
1 520 ignition + key
2 sets of 520 front blinker chrome strips

3 sets of front blinkers lenses - 1 nos /  1 set is trashed but can be glued back together

1 choke knob

1 old leather OEM 'Datsun' shift knob
1 old 'personal' 'Datsun' knob

1 4 speed shift knob

1 set of  blinker housings

1 520/521 cluster with all rear pins intact, so likely will be functional

1 gage bezel

3 interior door handles

3 1 window handles + knobs
2 sets of 520 metal interior handles

2 nos boxes of misc parts
1 exterior door handle

2 1 rearview mirror
1 drivers side window visor (there's a drivers and passenger already in the truck)
1 set headlight bezels shown earlier boxes (have grille but a little crusty also above)
1 extra heater (fronts rusty, but interior's good and plastic fan is good)
3 dash heater vents (1 nos plastic)

1 battery tie down
1 set of factory hubcaps

Bunch more parts left on the cab, but the remaining boxes have a shitload of hoses / random mounts / headlight bulbs / nuts and bolts - so I'll keep the nuts and bolts and send the rest of to the scrap yard with what's going to be left of the 520 frame & cab. 

Think I'll hold on to the shift knobs, cluster & bezel, and metal interior door handles, and 520 horn button. If anyone is interested in the other parts shoot me a pm. 

Edit - Bonus list of parts:
620 rear end

520 rear end

520/521 pre-cut drives floor

520/521 pre-cut passenger floor

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Got some fuckin work done today. Bro and I pulled the glass (front and back are perfect, no delaminating) and then chopped the 520s floor out.

4IYiovm.jpg

and gave her a chop down the middle.

OE25o7w.jpg

Going to toss them on a palette this week and send them off to Gerson from kfvintagejdm.com to kick off getting floors re-popped for these little trucks. Then he'll shoot them back. 

Then I got to work stripping more and pulled the dash, and other parts.

ysiIHNa.jpg

Everything but the steering wheel and heater unit is left on the truck, and then it's time to kick the red one over to the recyclers.

• Like 4