How to remove 71B striking lever lock pin

ppeters914

'77-early '79 71B 5-speed

Trying to replace o-ring and seal on shifter ears shaft (can't believe official name is striking rod and striking guide).

Anyway, you cannot remove it from the tail housing without removing the striking lever, which has a lock pin on the striking rod.

Nut and washers removed, but pin isn't moving. Tried giving it a couple of whacks with small hammer.....nada. Figured I ask before screwing this up.

I have some pics, but haven't setup a photo hosting account. Thank you Microsoft for killing that functionality in OneDrive. Besides, Mike and Doug can probably answer this in their sleep.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo! That's it. WhyTF did Nissan think it needed to be oddball like that? Guess they figured no one would ever need to replace the o-ring and/or seal. Sheesh.

No, I screwed the nut on, and tapped on the nut. Threads are fine.

Glad I was smart enough to stop and ask. I actually might have a tool like that though maybe not as heavy duty. Will search tomorrow.

Thanks again.

• 4 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 12:47 AM, G-Duax said:

I cheated.

Drilled and tapped a 1/4" NPT hole into the side, so I could get a strait shot at it with a punch

but did leave the nut on it.

After it was put back in, just plugged the hole with an aluminum pipe plug.

How did you brace the shaft to take hitting the pin? That's what has me stymied. 

cut a piece of wood to brace it against the case, or find a hunk of steel/aluminum to do the same. use a brass or aluminum drift and hit it good, taping it wont do sht.  those type of pins where used in bicycles to hold the pedal crank arms to the bottom bracket spindle for 3rd world produced bikes including england.   it was easier/cheaper to produce small parts and assemble them, look at triumph car axels and spindles, instead of making forgings, they made smaller parts and assembled them.  back in the day when mass produced bikes where made in merica,  huffys, scwhins, murrays would have a one piece steel forged crank assembly, pedal crank arms and bottom bracket spindle as one piece.  high end bikes would have alloy crank arms fit over a tapered squared  bottom bracket spindle and held on with a bolt in the center, like  campagnola  or shimano gear.  what where we talking about???