My '83 4X4: Interior Strip/Tidy/Refresh *Many Questions!*

CicliDevotion

I'm finally starting to address the interior on my '83 4X4 that I picked up this summer...

37677772_2138148716462441_55243601177865

At some point in its history, this truck was somebody's "muddin'" and good times party machine.

In addition to the mods made for the hard top convertible, the carpet/vinyl floor had been removed and the floor and back of the cab behind the seats were painted black with a brush.

The tweaker antics didn't stop there.  There is LOADS of Mickey Mousing for aftermarket accessories...all of which are currently non-functional.  Switches were mounted for driving lights, an additional interior light was cut into the under-dash console, power locks seem to have been installed.  There is some sort of aftermarket cruise control unit.  Some toggle switches and interior lights cut into the center console. On and on.

My plan is to pull out ALL of the aftermarket BS, lay down a new vinyl floor mat kit, tidy the necessary/stock electrical, deal with the black paint on the back wall of the cab behind the seats, reupholster the stock seats and do a general Clean Up as I make it MY good times party machine.  There are a few black trim pieces (arm rests, window cranks, seat belts, seat belt buckles) that I will swap out for the correct brown as well.

1) It appears that the black paint was just brushed over the yellow body color.  It's chipping off easily in some places (mostly on the floor pan, where I don't plan to spend time removing it cause I will be covering it when I lay down the new vinyl mat kit), but on the back wall behind the seats, I am debating between (a) trying to strip just the black paint and (b) sanding and priming and painting just that back panel in a brown to match the interior trim color and the "card' that I have seen on other 4x4 720s of the era.  Any ideas on how to remove just the black paint without roughing up the yellow factory paint?

2) I'm missing 2 floor pan drain plugs.  The holes are about 1" in diameter.  Is this a universal size that I should be able to find anywhere?  Or is it recommended that I find a OEM spec? Anyone have a source for them?

3) I have a few other smaller holes (ranging from 1/8" - 1/4") in the floor pan and on the back wall that need addressing.  I see a few spots where there are what appear to be some sort of adhesive backed "stickers" that cover other holes.  Any idea where to find these? Or suggestions on what else to use to cover these smaller holes?

4) On the far left side of the dash, on the bottom,  are 2 rectangular pop out "inserts" that allow for placement of aftermarket switches, etc.  I plan to remove the weird Cruise Control unit in place as well as 2 other sloppy and non-functional switches.  Anyone know of a source for some uncut/unmolested "covers" in brown? 

5) My rear slider window has a shattered panel...Fortunately, I have another window to replace it with.  But neither has it's handles/latch.  Anyone have some?

6) I noticed that on the seat belt currently installed, there is a wiring connector on the passenger side buckle.  (Drivers side buckle is missing.)  On the brown replacement set of buckles I have, there is a wiring connector on the DRIVERS side buckle only.  I only see the opposite end of the connector on the wiring on the drivers side of the truck.  Should BOTH buckles have wiring connectors for sensors?

7) On the wall behind the drivers seat, near the floor, there are 3 bolts (about 1/8" in diameter) that go through the cab, each passing through a rubber bushing (about 1/2" in diameter, 3/4" long).  One of them has a ring terminal tightened on to it with...you guessed it...a cut wire.  Anybody have any  idea what these could be for?  From what I can tell, they don't currently serve any function.  Were these for something stock?  Or more Mickey Mousing?

• Like 2
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dash and door cards are actually looking pretty decent! I’m gonna replace the center console because (a) the holes cut out for toggle switches, which aren’t connected to anything and (b) it’s really “chalky” looking.  Seats and floor and kick panels and rear panel and seatbelts are out, so I think I’ve pulled everything out that’s in need of attention? After painting the rear and plugging some holes, I think I’m ready to start putting stuff back in.  Just have to resolve a few things like the “mystery bolts” before paint, etc

• Like 2

I'm fairly certain it was a kit from RagTime, made by C.R. Laurence here in LA.  I have seen some ads in old magazines.  From what I can tell, it was basically cut and then capped with some plastic trim that was molded for the 720.  There are 5 hinges that hold it down.  I'll snap some pics and post to this thread later in the week.  The headliner treatment and finishing of the seam are pretty cool details.  Rubber isn't in the best of shape, so I am going to need to eventually do some retrofitting.  I think it'll never be water tight though... 

• Like 1

The FJ45 (pickup) did it from the factory as well.  Its windshield is hinged.  It is hooked to the hood when folded down, and when the windshield is up (without the hard top, or bikini top) it is hooked to the dash.

See page 5 on this thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/preserving-patina-how-to-tips-and-tricks.1097611/page-5#post-12080265

Edited by DIY 1985
  • Like 2

True. How could I forget about the FJ45? Toyotas are my business.

The use of the word "convertible" is in question for this truck though. A convertible has a soft top that is stowed by folding it down without any removal of parts. It's not really a roadster either, because roadsters don't have wind up windows. I guess hard top convertible is the best term for this Nissan.

• Like 1

I am in the process of trying to buy 3 720s for $500. (he doesn't know what he has. i hope) I only looked at them briefly to ask if they were for sale, and I need to go back and do some more digging. the guy said two of them were 83s and one was an 84. The point being, the two 83s, one of which I didn’t get pictures of, match your truck. The one I didn’t get pictures of is in better shape than the one I did get pictures of, and I was told has a running motor. I will more than likely go back up there Christmas eve to take a better look. If someone can tell me how to post pictures I can post the hasty pictures I took. Don’t know how long they have been sitting, and they are in one of the wettest climates in the country. I can see if they have the parts that you are looking for since I am only planning on making two usable trucks from the three.

posting picture help?

• Like 1