• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slave cylinder installed:

49598505802_764402515f_o.jpg

This is a 300ZX slave with the hose connection located above the bleeder so it is not hanging down.

My particular installation for whatever reason of combination of VG33, EE motor mounts, and a 71C trans with the aforementioned slave - the clutch hose I had was too short. It was 9". I finally found a Dorman that is 10 3/8" long and fits fine albeit 10" might have been even better.

Dorman #HP 38119

NAPA # UP 38119 or just 38119

• Like 1

The control arm bushings looked fine and were firm, and I don't have a press - so I left them alone. Once I get if back on the ground and at a new slightly lower ride height, I will adjust the sway bar end links and check the TC rods and I guess just loosen, then re-tighten the control arm bushings. Sound good? Thanks.

I got a wiper pivot arm freed up today too - one down one to go. Was rusted solid.

Made some time today to get all the used 280ZX brake stuff that came with the car cleaned and calipers rebuilt. I am waiting for a tie rod end to finish the driver side steering and an axle nut for same side.

Bolted everything up to make sure it all fits and I have not overlooked any parts and this is the result:

49625633787_7f157e943c_o.jpg

I am looking for a pair of 280ZX backing plates if anyone has some they don't want to use. From what I am seeing on the car, and in nissanpartsdeal.com diagrams - they have a rather thick center area that will fill the space next to the strut and keep the inner seal in place. Please PM me if you have some or have questions about what I need. I am posting in classified  WTB also.

Trying to clean the workbench and get some of the little new parts installed to make space, so this while waiting for caliper to dry:

49625360971_0a27f94b4d.jpg

Black is a theme, I should have wiped the valve cover.....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, vetteguy22 said:

I think I have some backing plates. I can check for you today if you like.

Rob

Thanks, yes please. The flange area should be about 3mm-4mm thick, not just the thin metal as the rest of the shield.

At least that's what I think it should be. I have never actually seen one.

M

Driver side going on the car...

49633109422_84758514e4_o.jpg

...not being IN the car

49632314878_5880652f18_o.jpg

This is the first I have seen the inside of the car - it has been full of parts since I got it over a year ago. Needs a bit of cleaning but overall in excellent condition.

Can anyone tell me where I store the scissors jack, jack handle, spare tire screw rod and crank handle? The long rod apparently fits in two clips that run along the drivers side door bottom. Anyone able to confirm that and the other stuff?

And it's the first picture of me and the car together.  <big grin>

Edited by rosso
  • Like 1

Moving on to one of the next things to check - the fuel tank, lines, evap sytem etc and to get ready to install an electric fuel pump. I pulled the cargo panel out and found everything in pretty good shape:

49645778948_7f104cb9e8_o.jpg

New large filler hose and it's very flexible, new smaller hose at rear, and the other original hoses are all in okay shape with a slight bit of rusting around the clamps. I plan to leave it alone until I get gas in it and see if there are any leaks - otherwise I am good to go on these guys. It will become a preventative maintenance item for the future.

• Like 2

So before I closed the cargo panel I took a few minutes to see how easy it was going to be to "clean" whatever the stains were.

49653056378_d326649d86_o.jpg

So 5 minutes with hand polish and better enough that I can clean up when hoses are off for preventative maint in the future

Also working on the firewall.cowl area - here's the hood spring mounting bracket. De-rusted, primed, paint and clear coat. Blended with existing paint on bracket and a pretty good match.

49653873237_083c3a58a8_o.jpg

And the other side by the wiper motor. Struts are back in too.

49653619316_18879cd659_o.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Have you cleaned out the center cowl vent?

Yes, I posted about the center drain in December 2018 I think in a separate thread.

Where the drain comes out:

45703840874_20725b43b6_w.jpg

What came out onto the garage floor:

32554858388_06ecf6b528_w.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Rob and StiteBunny - I appreciate the support and it helps keep me going. Doing all the work by myself is sometime challenging but I feel much better about the project since I got the motor and trans installed. If I get a bit down, I just look at the VG33 sitting in there and all is better. 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided to clean the garage today - because it was dirty

49687912388_145dda98ac_o.jpg

and because I could do this

49688445421_666bc2c345_o.jpg

49688750567_84fd1e6835_o.jpg

Overall coming along, still lots to do and I don't have the rebuilt caliper/brakes all sorted yet. Coilovers are adjusted - about 1/2" high I think but I will let them settle a bit and still have a few pounds of things to add on the car. The car is a roller at least and I can push it in and out of the garage if needed now.

49687912308_1910b681e4_o.jpg

49687912353_9f4c9d4dc8_o.jpg

Not looking bad for an old girl - doncha think?

Painted ZX wheels are okay until I have all the other stuff sorted and using the car for a daily driver.

49688445466_b46eda1795_o.jpg

One issue I was not expecting is the passenger side tire rubs the strut/coilover. Driver side is fine. So not sure what is going on.

Like other project members, the car has been on jack stands for so long it is really something to see it at normal ride height. 🙂

• Like 1

Decided to take a break from trying to figure out problems and getting parts ordered and work on how the car looks.

Took off the front bumperettes; bam

49699478111_df0f010c85_o.jpg

with bumperettes

49688750567_dd8dc4f572_z.jpg

I originally rather liked them since they were in good shape and it's a wagon; however, looking at the clean bumper I have changed my mind. Clean = moar better.

• Like 1