'72 510 Goon - Prova - because it will be a test

rosso

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the muffler shop did not have any flanges to fit the exhaust manifolds, so could not do anything. I was so looking forward to having the exhaust done so I could drive it and hear what was going on. Drove about 3 miles and the car really seems good. It's loud, especially when lifting off the gas. Soft brakes but I have been waiting for some stainless replacement lines to fix the drips.

All in all easy to drive, steering is fine, ride is fine bumpy but not harsh.

If anyone knows or has exhaust to downpipe flanges that I can buy please PM me. They are 3-bolt flanges, 3" between bolts and 2.5" pipe.

Fingers still crossed for Powerland.

Muffler shop is now next week, I have two flanges ordered so the guy can build the pieces to mate the manifolds to the existing tailpipe.

Working on more details while I wait - installed a day/night rear view mirror from a Pathfinder. I can't remember who pulled this for me and sent it, but thanks, it works great.

IMG_0761-1.thumb.jpg.f29c7a019e38d151399a1a7efa318422.jpg

It bolts right in to the 510 holes. I have the cover piece, just waiting since I need to replace the windshield.

Since I am now driving the car on the road to get things done, I have taken the temporary battery hold down off (some of you mentioned this), and put in a permanent bracket.

IMG_0759-1.thumb.jpg.23c69bb1a0afd49d32087112a651e7ab.jpg

I have an apparent leak at the speedometer connection in the transmission. I will investigate the next time the car is in the air, it's too low now. 🙂 Is there an o-ring or gasket on the connection?

It's so nice to be able to move the car in and out of the garage on its own power rather than pushing it.

• Like 3

Actually there are two wire nuts. 🙂  I am doing this the same way I did the rest of my wiring for the VG33 and IR alternator and ballast resistor changes.

I only wire nut the joins that will be made permanent after I make sure everything works. I may try to find bullet connectors with plastic covers. I have at least 3 different size wires to join so will need a variety of connectors whichever way I go.

I wire like the hyppocratic oath - first do not cut it too short.

• Like 1
On 5/4/2021 at 10:15 PM, rosso said:

Working on more details while I wait - installed a day/night rear view mirror from a Pathfinder.

IMG_0761-1.thumb.jpg.f29c7a019e38d151399a1a7efa318422.jpg

If you come across the Infinity version of a Pathfinder in a yard somewhere, (I forgot what they call it) They have a cover that goes over the mounting screws for the mirror.  You can use the spray can vinyl dye to make it black, and it looks much nicer with the cover on.  I haven't been to a yard in a while, but I'll keep my eye out.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Duncan said:

If you come across the Infinity version of a Pathfinder in a yard somewhere, (I forgot what they call it) They have a cover that goes over the mounting screws for the mirror.  You can use the spray can vinyl dye to make it black, and it looks much nicer with the cover on.  I haven't been to a yard in a while, but I'll keep my eye out.

Thx, I have the cover, just have not put it on since the windshield needs replacement and I might want to take the mirror off. It's in the garage somewhere...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

I have a qx4 analog clock in my 510.  That had no meaning whatsoever to the conversation.  I just wanted to be one of the cool kids talking about qx4s.

Feel free to break out the wine and cheese.....

I am trying to figure out why the speedometer cable is leaking at the transmission on my 5-speed 71C trans with a 280ZX cable.

Is there supposed to be a gasket? It appears that the 510 cable has one like this:

12-J41204_560x.jpg?v=1591230357

What does everyone have? It is more than just a small drip.

which one leaks?

The top or the bottom brake line in the photo.

to me the top line looks fine

the bottom one look like the bottom of the whole look flat like as the brake line the nipple is more 45deg or so like the top one.  Im guessing from a distance here but just my first thoughts

on the speedo PINION inside the trans is a O ring, there a 10mm bolt with a pc of metal the holds the poinion in and pull out as a unit.

Thats all I can think of right now. Maybe just age also they leak.

Just me some 15in SSR Mesh would be my wheels of choice for that wagon. Ok Rota OS Mesh as a cheaper clone

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

if I remeber right my lines are a rolled type where the threaded nipple goes on.

are those stock or you make new lines??????

I tied to look on the ends of these how the flare is

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323804872104?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=323804872104&targetid=4581183927179148&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418233787&mkgroupid=1241348861725295&rlsatarget=pla-4581183927179148&abcId=9300542&merchantid=51291&msclkid=1551a903ffe61f5ea7b8c9abe0f2689f

Edited by banzai510(hainz)