Datsun 620 4x4

Clint760

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easiest would be a 720 4x4 and swap the 620 body on. The frame in the above picture was a 2wd '82 720 long wheelbase so the body does fit. It had Ford F-150 leaf springs on all four corners. It weighed around 3,500 and I put a larger Z24 engine in it because I was stuck with 4.11s. A 4.875 diff would have been better with those 33s. .

• Thanks 1

Samurai axles are too narrow IMHO.

If I was to do another one I would use newer land cruiser axles with factory lockers.  

Saying that, I love my waggy front. It has the best turning radius and plenty of aftermarket support. 

My build thread. 

IMG_6239.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Waggy axles are great, back in the 70's they would have factory optioned 620 4x4 conversions done using Jeep axles/xfr cases (Dana 20).

The early 80's Toyota 8" solid axles are 6 lug and the pumpkin 3rd members are swappable front to rear and have a big aftermarket following.

• Like 1

This.

I used the Toyota top spring with shackles and F150 leaves below that were re-arced to 9". Plum bob and lots of measuring front to back, back to front, side to side and diagonal to triangulate the axle. Steering was a 280zx power steering box with a diagonal tie rod to an upside down steering knuckle on the passenger side to remove any bump steer. Both wheels were tied together with the stock horizontal tie rod on the bottom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...