MK4A80

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, mainer311 said:

I believe the banjo bolts are M10x1.0 thread size. Don't forget the copper washers, 2 on each side.

As far as the master cylinder pushrod, see if Mike Klotz @mklotz70 has any. 

All the local auto parts only have the banjo m10x1.5 will that one work

nevermind I looked up how to read a bolt so it won’t fit

Edited by Zonargx
  • Like 1

So I went to 6 stores but they all had that gm m10x1.5 I was seriously about to give up and order some online and just move the truck out the way as I was blocking my woman’s car. Then I decided to go back to my neighbor in East LA where I grew up and went to little neighborhood auto parts we have near and they had the banjo bolts there. Anyways the install is done and since I need the truck for work(daily truck) I found a long bolt so I rounded it up stick it trough the fork thing that goes to the pedal and put a nut on the back to make it work and yes this is for the mean time while the 620 push rod come in.

thanks @mainer311 the most you were the most helpful and thanks again to the rest who helped me out in anyway. I’m happy I was able to get this done.. yet being a lot of work making new brake lines and painting takes a lot of time. Never have I’ve done brake lines and for it being the first time I did a really good job

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Zonargx said:

At first I put fitting to convert the front brakes 3/8 24 nut to a M10-1 but then just said screw this removes the lines and made new ones with M10-1 fitting one the brake line ends to run the d21 brake lines

That is the right way to do it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just found the notification from tuesday.  

For future reference, rockauto has them.  They're from an '87 HB.  The 720's had longer ones.  the bolt length is determined by the hose used.  If you use the 720 hose, it has a thicker block, needs a longer bolt and they're more money....especially from the dealer.  This Dorman number should work at any parts store and I would imagine any of them should be able to get them in quickly if they don't stock them.  

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/dorman,13912,hydraulic+hose+to+caliper+/+banjo+bolt,10620

This info has been on my site for years. It shows the difference I was just trying to explain.

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/hoses---banjo-bolts.html

I do have push rods on hand for the 521's, I just haven't gotten them back up on the site.  Moot point since he already made his own.  There's a thread running around where I show making one with a drill and a grinder, but I'm not finding it right now.

I include these in the 521 disc brake kits so that the new metric hose can be properly connected to the hardline.  Some hardware stores even carry them.  

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-line-fittings/brakelines-brake-system-adapter-blf-29c/835279_0

....just copied this from a page on my site.....factory banjo bolt numbers and hose info.

Banjo Bolts:(click for more info)  If you buy new calipers, you may not get banjo bolts with them. If you do not, then order your hoses for a '87 Nissan D21 Hardbody since the bolts at the dealer are much cheaper than the 720 bolts. 

Factory part numbers for banjo bolts:
'94  Nissan Part#  46356-50Y0A   $6.91ea
'84 bolts, Part# 41128-V0300  $20.70ea....but the last time I checked, they were NLA

For the Dorman banjo bolt(available at any parts store), Dorman #13912

Hoses:(click for more info)  The brake hoses used with this installation have metric threads.  You will need to either flare a new brake line nut onto the end of the stock hardline, or use an adapter like the Brake Quip BQ49.  The 620 already has metric nuts on the hard lines.
The body mounting tab for the hose does not match the profile of the hose fitting.  It seems to hold just fine by mounting it to the tab the same way it did on the donor vehicle using the horseshoe clip.  If you're not comfortable with mounting it this way, you'll have to figure something out.
On the caliper end of the hose, there is a thickness difference depending on the year.  If you bought used calipers WITH the banjo bolts, but are buying new hoses, order the hoses to match the same year/model as your calipers.  If you're ordering new hoses, order 1987 D21 Hardbody hoses so that you can use the cheaper banjo bolt.

Edited by mklotz70
  • Like 2

I have a question does the 620 ignition switch fits the 521. My 521 has the 5 prongs switch like the 620 what I’m wondering is if the wiring of the 620 ignitions switch is the same as the 521. I already order it just want to clarify first. 

story is that my ignition switch is worn out my key also since it fall of the switch on a small bump so I’m guessing both parts Anyways today I’m my way home from work it started up and on a light about to turn left the starter started to engage like if I was trying to start it up and my switch started to smoke a bit so I turned it off so I had to push it off the way since it wouldn’t crank anymore. So I tried to started again Ans it just wouldn’t tried tapping the starter and nothing so I started to try and carefully insert the worn out key property in and turn it on carefully and it worked. To end the story I said fuck the switch and buy a new one so I looked it up and could find one that would be here soon the earlier was about a month and it ships from Thailand. The 620 switch looks the same to I just bought it. my current switch has the ACC/OFF/On/start 

Edited by Zonargx
  • Like 2

I imagine you can figure out the wiring to make the 620 switch work.  Re pin the placement of the wires in the plug to match the 620 switch.  The switch may not fit in the dash hole.

When you get the switch figure out from Mikes description above which switch you have and post back.

Post a picture of your ignition switch plug that clearly shows the wire position and colors.  This will help us help you to figure out the wire positions in the plug for the switch.

Looking at the 3 terminal and 5 terminal 520/521 switches I have and the 620 switches I have the chrome ring nut from the 520/521 switches will screw onto the 620 switches.  The wiring might not need re-pinning for the 620 switch.  This depends on which style switch you get. 

There are all kinds of 520/521 ignition switches that only have 3 terminals.  If I remember correctly my  66 520 ignition switch only had 3 terminals.  It did not have an accessories position.

Here is a WIKI link that has a lot of information on various ignition switches.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Ignition_Switch

Edited by Charlie69
6 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

I imagine you can figure out the wiring to make the 620 switch work.  Re pin the placement of the wires in the plug to match the 620 switch.  The switch may not fit in the dash hole.

When you get the switch figure out from Mikes description above which switch you have and post back.

Post a picture of your ignition switch plug that clearly shows the wire position and colors.  This will help us help you to figure out the wire positions in the plug for the switch.

Looking at the 3 terminal and 5 terminal 520/521 switches I have and the 620 switches I have the chrome ring nut from the 520/521 switches will screw onto the 620 switches.  The wiring might not need re-pinning for the 620 switch.  This depends on which style switch you get. 

There are all kinds of 520/521 ignition switches that only have 3 terminals.  If I remember correctly my  66 520 ignition switch only had 3 terminals.  It did not have an accessories position.

I’ll post a pic in a bit but yes my switch has the 5 terminals 3 up top and 2 bottom. My switch is like the 75-79 in terms of position of the key on off it’s on center I go left on the switch and it’s on acc if I go clock wise from off position once it’s at on I go once more it’s on start

• Like 1

Sounds good.

Zonargx would you please start a thread on the ignition switch as we are thread jacking MK4A80's thread on disc brakes.  Ask Redeye if he can move these posts on the switch to your tthread on the ignition switch thread.  This is to keep the disc brake thread clean.

Oh by the way in my opinion Datzenmike is the most helpfull person on Ratsun.  He has a very wide Datsun knowledge base.

Edited by Charlie69