620 purchase price

Hey guys I’m new to the Datsun world. The Datsun 620 has caught my eye and now I really want to build one. I am currently shopping around for a nice truck as a solid foundation to start my build with. That being said I am wondering what decent trucks (unrestored) are going for? Historical pricing data is hard to come by. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try publications in the Pacific North West like Craigslist where they are plentiful, and look for one. To a lesser degree work your way south and east. Try to find the most complete running example, fly out and drive it home or have it shipped if not. I say the most complete example because finding parts on the wrong coast will be a bitch. This isn't a first gen Camaro you can build from re-pop parts.

Price will depend on condition but several thousand would or should get you a runner.

I was hoping you weren’t going to say that lol. East coast snow does not treat vehicles very well. And I am well aware of the limited parts available, which has me slightly worried. 

I was hoping to avoid having to ship a vehicle coast to coast. If I did have to ship one I would have to find a nice 620 for real cheap. 

What kind of money would it take to get a complete runner mostly rust free? 4K? 5k? 

57 minutes ago, Squilliam6 said:

I was hoping you weren’t going to say that lol. East coast snow does not treat vehicles very well. And I am well aware of the limited parts available, which has me slightly worried. 

I was hoping to avoid having to ship a vehicle coast to coast. If I did have to ship one I would have to find a nice 620 for real cheap. 

What kind of money would it take to get a complete runner mostly rust free? 4K? 5k? 

So I picked up one about a month ago. In VA. I paid $2k because it was the most complete I could find and not completely rusted out. That being said datzenmike is right finding parts is hard and expensive. They do not make repops of the hood or bedsides. So unless you are comfortable patching panels you might want to think about shipping one from the west coast

This would be my first big project so it will be a learning experience for some stuff, but I’m pretty mechanically inclined and my dad and uncle have been restoring cars for 40+ years so patching panels isn’t completely out of the question. 

I found one truck in PA that's pretty clean. But the owner wants $7k for it.. I’ll keep looking. 

3 hours ago, Squilliam6 said:

This would be my first big project so it will be a learning experience for some stuff, but I’m pretty mechanically inclined and my dad and uncle have been restoring cars for 40+ years so patching panels isn’t completely out of the question. 

I found one truck in PA that's pretty clean. But the owner wants $7k for it.. I’ll keep looking. 

Where are you located at?

Dings inside the box that don't show on the outside can be hammered out. Cover with bed liner and good to go.

Interior... find some nice thin bucket seats and black carpet.

The 620 odometer self zeros after 99,999 miles so likely 163,000 or maybe 263,000.

Air con would be nice.

The best thing about this truck is... automatic. They are survivors! Hard to abuse an automatic vehicle, they just get driven. No kids have been doing 6K clutch dumps in it. Reliable as hell. You can always put a standard in. You did say a project.

Just a bit pricey. Myself I would look for a '78 (or '79) that have electronic ignition, (EI) front disc brakes, ball joint steering, internally regulated alternator (all first year '78) larger displacement L20B engine ('75 and up) and a 5 speed ('77 and up as an option)

Oh definitely more rusty. I like the price much better. But I don’t have a trailer large enough to fit both trucks for the almost 500 mile haul from NC to MD. 

I thought i had a nice one lined up that I was ready to pull the trigger on but someone else bought it the day before I was going to go check it out. Very clean rust free California truck that was recently brought to the east coast. I was all about it. Too bad it fell through. I’m just going to have to exercise some patience; which is hard when I’m itching to build one of these awesome trucks. 

6 hours ago, Squilliam6 said:

Oh definitely more rusty. I like the price much better. But I don’t have a trailer large enough to fit both trucks for the almost 500 mile haul from NC to MD. 

I thought i had a nice one lined up that I was ready to pull the trigger on but someone else bought it the day before I was going to go check it out. Very clean rust free California truck that was recently brought to the east coast. I was all about it. Too bad it fell through. I’m just going to have to exercise some patience; which is hard when I’m itching to build one of these awesome trucks. 

Well if you are serious  I might be inclined to sell mine to you for the price I paid... I’m in va.