Wheels

NVFireFighter

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Negative offset moves the rim outward from the axle. Two 2cm plus the extra width might put it into the fender. Find out the width of your rims and use an on-line calculator for offset. 

Do you know the offset and width of stock 14" wheels Mike?

When going with a much wider wheel, measuring the backspacing is more important than measuring the offset.

https://www.americastire.com/learn/offset-backspace?cid=3b876a09-97eb-4b73-8580-0ff7e351324f&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIycDsi42Y3wIVhsBkCh3L9w9KEAAYASAAEgLu0_D_BwE

Every 6-lug wheel I've brought in from Japan had a center bore either 108mm or 110mm.

The register on a 620 only 90mm, so most likely, you won't have to have them machined.

But if you do, have someone machine them.

A router turns way too fast, and router bits are meant for wood.

Using them on aluminum will just fuck everything up, including the bit, and probably the router.

Even with correct machinery, machining aluminum requires coolant to bee constantly fed onto the surface being cut, and the cutting bit.

• Like 1

When I was about 20 years old, I hogged out the center bore of a set of wheels with a carbide burr on a die grinder. It worked ok, but took about 4 hours and the resulting wheels had no register anymore. I then paid a machine shop to do the next set. They charged $100 and the machine work was beautiful, and retained the correct register. Lesson learned.

On 12/11/2018 at 7:51 AM, datzenmike said:

Six of one half dozen of the other. 

Yes, but with a wider wheel, measuring offset is meaningless as far as interference with suspension components goes.  You need to know how much room you have before you start running into tie rod ends and such.