I gots Chinesed!

bottomwatcher

Well after looking for some new u joints I went to rock auto and bought some GMB u joints. Now pics from other sites showed GMB with the clearly made in Japan label. The GMB from rock auto are made in China. Now the last time Replaced U joints I ended up with PDQ another Chinese u joint and honestly they have been fine for close to 100k and I grease them religiously. I have a spare set of the PDQs so I am inclined to use them over the new GMBs. This is for my primary driveshaft on a 4x4 that have never been changed before 250K and getting "Notchy". Anyways any experience with the Chinese GMBs? I Know I know Chinese junk but it seems kind of unavoidable now so like I said the PDQs have been fine so there may be some OK stuff out there. Any regular mechanics using this stuff? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you got 'em and you paid for them. If it were me I would just use them, see how they work, then you can give your opinion for the rest of us part-hunting people. Need parts occasionally but have a parts vehicle in the yard.

• Like 1

More like broker of surplus auto parts.

Ever wonder why you hardly ever get something from RA, that ships from the same address twice ?

Do they have huge inventory warehouses all over the USA ?

No, they are constantly searching for old, or close out inventory, and sell it off for the people who actually have it.

Or so the conspiracy theory goes..... 

• Like 1

Soooo for being the glutton for punishment that I am. I went back to the rock auto site and there were my Chinese GMBs plus some GMBs that are stamped Japan for the princely sum of $3.81.They were not there last week when I ordered the others so I am trying again. I am guessing these are old and GMB moved there factories to China? Hard to keep up. Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bottomwatcher said:

Soooo for being the glutton for punishment that I am. I went back to the rock auto site and there were my Chinese GMBs plus some GMBs that are stamped Japan for the princely sum of $3.81.

10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Ya gits wat ya pays fer em.

Less than $4 for a U joint? ?

• Like 1

There are certain items that I will only purchase from reliable sources that I already do business with. In the case of U-joints, I only buy them from my local driveline shop. The owner there always knows which manufacturers are best and which ones to avoid.

A lot of things are OK to buy online, but not everything. Not unless you have specifics up front.

• Like 1

A cheap release bearing is no good if it fails too soon. It's not like a blown marker light that's easy to replace. Think about how critical it is to safe operation and how hard it is to replace if it goes bad. If critical or hard to replace easily, don't cheap out. What did you save by using a $1.99 thermostat and then overheat your engine?

• Like 2

I have had good luck with them in the past in getting Japanese sourced parts. My screw up here was looking at a GMB u joint with japan stamped on it from s source other than rock auto. I assumed all GMB was Japanese, obviously not. So the ones I just ordered are supposed to have the Japan stamped on them and said they are warrantied for 50k miles. The other ones (Chinese GMB) are warrantied 12k miles. Not that you would ever be able to claim anything at least they are advertising better quality from the start with the Japan ones. When I receive them I will report back.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Only way it's made in Japan for $3.81 is they are just getting rid of the few they have. I don't think even China can make them for that!!! 12K miles?

Well sometimes they are just dumping excessive stock or NLA items . I’ve gotten some Chinese , but often Japan and Taiwan . 

And there are different quality of Chinese parts too. I did buy NPR pistons for my rebuild , couldn’t beat the price . I sheepishly handed to my machinist , and he said he had used their stuff before , it wasn’t too bad. 

Rather see made in Japan, I did see that on my water pump and timing chain kit, but I searched EBAY for those. When I google a part I’m looking for I will put - made in Japan in the search line 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You can do anything. It's called counterfeiting. You can cast a part with the part number in it. You can even print the Nissan label for the box. NOS from Asia are all fake. 

Lol, seen that several times. Seems like lights are a common one to counterfeit from what I've seen, often from Thailand.

Ok well the "new" universals arrived today. They came in ancient beck/Arnly boxes marked made in Japan. The universal joints were marked GMB Japan on them. They look and feel much more quality than the Chinese stuff I received last week. Kind of like Norinco Vs H&K in the fire arms world. Anyways I will be installing these and will probably order some more as spares. So you win some lose some on Rock auto, need to do more homework next time. As far as imgur I got sucked into the less "G" rated stuff and lost concentration on posting pics but will try. Well I give up on the pics but it wasn't exciting anyways. Just glad to have some quality parts now time to get dirty and replace them. Did I mention U joints are not my favorite?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Ok well the "new" universals arrived today. They came in ancient beck/Arnly boxes marked made in Japan. The universal joints were marked GMB Japan on them. They look and feel much more quality than the Chinese stuff I received last week. Kind of like Norinco Vs H&K in the fire arms world. Anyways I will be installing these and will probably order some more as spares. So you win some lose some on Rock auto, need to do more homework next time. As far as imgur I got sucked into the less "G" rated stuff and lost concentration on posting pics but will try. Well I give up on the pics but it wasn't exciting anyways. Just glad to have some quality parts now time to get dirty and replace them. Did I mention U joints are not my favorite?

Ok I seriously lol'd at the "Norinco Vs H&K" comparison.

Norinco and Stamped HK(91s) are both cheap to manufacture both work fine.Most HKs are made in Turkey, Pakistan and Burma now anyways under lisence. also the MG3(MG42 clone,made famous in Saving Pvt Ryan.

Get "Spicer made in USA U joints if possible. most of my U joints are also GMP Japan but notice alot of stuff going to china now. Mostly half shaft U joints on lowered 510 but never replaced a driveline one yet