Timing chain wedge

85"720

It was years ago but I don't think water was mentioned. Just a couple of feet of folded hose jammed down there. There is a narrow spot between the two chains just above the tensioner and wider below so the type that block have to be thin enough to pass there. I did my design before the I had the timing cover on. The one I made actually reaches around the curve and pushed the tensioner in as you tap it downward. Again this is a Z24 and the guides are longer than the Z22/L20B. The curved tensioner side I moved to the limit the mounting slots would allow to remove as much slack as possible. This might make the pinch point even narrower.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Mike, but I was trying to be funny.....

I was thinking of a small air bladder though, that could be inflated, and you came along with the garden hose thing, and everything just kind of melded together :-)

Just think of the carnage that would be caused if there was a small leak in the hose, and someone filled their oil pan with water...

23 hours ago, Tedman said:

Just noticed the OP is working on a Z24. The How to Keep Your Datsun/Nissan Alive book shows a much shorter wedge shape for the Z series motors (section 9-15). Both types are shown full size so you can easily trace and make a template.  Not sure if there's a pdf version of that book on line somewhere, but there ought to be.

edit- Found it here:

http://datsun510.com/index.php?/files/file/21-how-to-keep-your-datsun-l-z-series-alive/

23 hours ago, wayno said:

You guys are getting way to fancy, I use a piece of plastic, I just cut one end at a slight angle, the plastic is 5/8" X 1 3/16ths" X 14 1/2" long, if I cannot find my plastic ones I just cut a piece of wood around the same size.

001.jpg

On 12/7/2018 at 3:56 PM, datzenmike said:

Someone mentioned using a folded garden hose.

23 hours ago, G-Duax said:

I like Mike's garden hose idea.

Just cap one end, fold over, insert into engine, hook the other end up to the faucet, and turn on.....

Water pressure expands the hose, and keeps everything in place  ?

21 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Well while  everyone  is going nuts with this. Stick a philipshead  screwdriver in between the chain and cam gear to suck up any slack. Then wedge the wood. The idea is to wedge the tensioner before removing the cam gear and any slack from the bottom  end makes it easier on the top. Once secure yank the Philips and you have a few millimeters of slack to work with. Hope this makes sense.

Damm I didn't know I was going to  raise hell with this question.lol

Edited by 85"720

I recently went through this.  I had made a wedge copying a design from a big book that came out in the mid-'70s at the height of 240/260z-car and 510 racing (some of you have this book, with a color photo of a Brock Racing Enterprises 510 on a track somewhere).  I found the wedge and discovered it was too thick to work on my Z-22. After some sawing and sanding, it turned out a little too thin because it never quite was stopped by the tensioner.  But it worked fine, which indicates that the tensioner need not be rammed all the way in.  Or maybe it just means that the old chain was stretched a little.  Anyhow,  when I first made the tool, I drilled a small hole in the top and put a lanyard (piece of braided cord) through it so I could always retrieve the tool.  

22 minutes ago, seattle smitty said:

After some sawing and sanding, it turned out a little too thin because it never quite was stopped by the tensioner.  But it worked fine, which indicates that the tensioner need not be rammed all the way in.  

Agreed, it doesn't have to push the tensioner in, just prevent it from coming out any more than it is. The one I made I hadn't put the timing cover on yet so I could use the slack side guide to get the curve right. As it turns out it goes around the curve nicely with it's back against the tension side. A few taps and the tip pushes the tensioner in slightly. A garden hose might do the same thing?

I have three of many of the most used things. I think what goes wrong is saying to myself... 'where should I put this so I'll find it next time?' Another is the 'shit claws factor'. I carry a tool in my hand but then set it down to move something, look at something, find another tool..... and then move on only to look down at an empty hand later. WTF? Before starting a job I try to track down what I'll need and say fuck it and go into town and buy it. Next spring when I get my 710 ready for the Canby trip I'll look in the back and there's a Tupperware container full of spare tools and..... there it is!!!!!

30 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Now that's ratsun.....

I gotta ask did you have an old piece of hose or did you use the full length garden hose 

I was telling my dad about  what people  use to wedge the chain and I told him  I needed some wood or use a garden hose. He said just use the garden hose. he said  it needed to be cut  anyways so might as well  use it for something lol.