84 720 NAPZ Z 2.4L Alternator Issue

1984720Z24Sunrader

I need to tighten my alternator, seems like an easy fix BUT since it's my first alternator adjustment please advise. Should be two bolts at body and one adjustable top bolt, correct ? !   The top adjustment bolt broke okay but the bottom was tight / is tight as a tick donb;t want to break so..here I am.  battery light slightly visible and battery does not seem to be charging correctly and belt is so loose I can almost slide it off.. What up... THanks 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two bolts under the alternator holding it to the block not the body. Slightly looses these.

The adjustment is a strap bolted to the front of the timing chain cover higher up. The strap has a slot with a blot in it. Loosen and pry the alternator away from the block till belt it tight. Tighten the adjustment nut. Then tighten the two bolts under neath it.

If top bolt is broken, this will allow the tension on the belt to be lost. You will need to remove the broken bolt and replace it. If snapped off inside the alternator case it may be easier to remove the alternator to work on it.

First thing is REMOVE one of the battery cables from the battery to prevent a melt down

• Like 1