2 door Sedan all apart

edekalil

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a tip: Wear a ratty sweatshirt and eye protection when running that wire wheel.  The wires will come off the wheel occasionally, and hit you at full speed.  The sweatshirt will protect your body and arms.  I got hit in the face a few times, and those things sting when they hit!

Good luck on your project!  Give it hell, Bro!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Duncan said:

Just a tip: Wear a ratty sweatshirt and eye protection when running that wire wheel.  The wires will come off the wheel occasionally, and hit you at full speed.  The sweatshirt will protect your body and arms.  I got hit in the face a few times, and those things sting when they hit!

Good luck on your project!  Give it hell, Bro!

I understand that I’ll be very careful for sure.

Thanks a lot

Edited by edekalil
1 hour ago, mrbigtanker said:

give me the orange one, cmon man. Love what you're doing.

I’m trying, it’s not gonna be fast but I have most of what I need for it as far as parts and motor. So now it begins. I’ll leave the Orange one in the will, but first I gotta get a ride in that Goon! Love that one you got.

• Like 1

Knocking off all the undercoating with a 1” putty knife. Seems to work putty good  with out making a bunch of dust floating around. So after I knock off all of this then I’ll clean it better with a wire wheel.

868-D2-D18-29-D1-42-B7-94-E5-2-AA7901608

Seems under most most of the coating it’s bare metal and no rust even where it came up easy not counting the lower portions of the floor pans

And this hurts, a box with all the paint materials for painting the car. A two tone job but here it sits after over 20 years not used and I don’t think I’ll even open any of it I’ll have to start from new. So let this be a lesson for all. Don’t buy the paint until you are ready to paint it then.

8255-C004-2480-4-C95-BBB6-21-C8-C278-E72

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1

Not much to report, just cleaning off the loose and stuck undercoat little by little. I think I have about 80% done except the wheel wells, then I’ll hit it with some type wire wheel and other things to get it clean to the metal. Little by little at least I’ve done way more recently than since I took it apart.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I figured not being a welder but knowing welders all my life this will make it easier to get started on welding. I have the old style helmet but it’s no way to see where your starting the weld. It’s probably better than the one I have and it was on sale for $44.

Edited by edekalil
11 hours ago, edekalil said:

I figured not being a welder but knowing welders all my life this will make it easier to get started on welding. I have the old style helmet but it’s no way to see where your starting the weld. It’s probably better than the one I have and it was on sale for $44.

I had one of these I used with my MIG.  It is infinitely easier to start a weld with over one that is always dark.  It did work mostly fine, except and I"m not sure why, the sensors seemed to not see the arc all the time and I'd get flashed.  I've since gotten a TIG and switched to a Jackson Safety helmet and although I've not gotten flashed once, it does cost almost 3 times as much; so you'd have to determine the value in economy for you.

Not pooping on your helmet, as I said, I've had one.  Just giving my experience with it so you know; mine very well could have been defective.

Edited by BrandonS
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, edekalil said:

Oh yeah, especially for tacking stuff together to minimize heat-based warping of thin metal, being able to properly see where you're starting the weld/tack is invaluable when you're doing a lot in a row.

• Like 1