2 door Sedan all apart

edekalil

Well this is the first project I have posted so hear we go. This is a 72 2 door Sedan I bought way back around the early 90's. I got it in Bolixi MS. The first thing I did way back was to take the auto trans out and make it a stick shift car. In the later 90s I took her all apart to re do her up.

7E0008B5-F17B-40C9-B579-176C7227AB1D.jpg

I will add to her story as time goes on here but now I have to get ready to go to work in New Orleans.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 5
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah it will. The good thing is it is all apart now. I'm not giving up on her by no means. My big issue is working out of town but retirement will happen in the not so far off future. I plan to keep the two sedans I have going and do some needed work on them such as getting the front end rebuilt and get that Goon going motorwise. That way I can get them road Worthy for trips to the coast or New Orleans. I have all the parts for the car that's all apart, I'll get a list and oics of it all here soon.

Edited by edekalil
  • 3 months later...

Well one thing I have been thinking about is getting a rotisserie to be able to get to all of the car. It can be moved out from the wall to work on it and pushed back when not able to work on it. I hate to spend the money but those things are unreal for doing work on the shell of a car. I'll be getting some money back from taxes so why not. Anyway really thinking about it cause I want to get back on this car. Any input on it welcomed. 

This is one I'm looking at.

Screenshot-20190314-212513.png

Edited by edekalil

For a couple hundred bucks you can make your own.  I made this one with pretty much zero outside input.  I would make it a little nicer now, and wouldn't bother with the engine stand plates, but it still worked perfectly fine as it was.  I added casters later...

IMG_3060.jpg

• Like 3

I have a couple of welder friends but they stay busy. I have a friend of mines son who offered to let me use a  stick welder his uncle left him if I needed it. I have never welded before but hung around a friend who did it all the time. I don't think it's that hard but I do figure there's a lot to know about it. Hell if I had the time I'd just go up to the community college and make one for a project to learn welding but I got to work. Anyway I have some other friends who might know someone who can help out that welds and has time.

9 hours ago, thisismatt said:

What's the point of a rotisserie if you're not going to be welding? 😛 Just get some dollies if you just want to push it around?

I have a mig welder and I'm sure that will be fine but I haven't used a stick but that does not mean I won't jump in on using a stick. I will be welding with both for sure I just have to get up to speed on the stick. I remember a lot of info way back I heard about welding with a stick and with the internet I'm sure I will figure out what I need for what I will be doing Just glad a friend offered to bring one he had sitting over. I have 3 phase power into the building so I just have to step up a plug in for the stick welder, I have one for the mig.

I also figured if I can set it up on something like pictured it would be easier to get it setup on being mostly by myself and then can pull it out and do some work when I can rather than let it sit like it is. I just want to get a jump on getting it it to a point so that when I retire in about 4 years hopefully it will be back on the ground and not on the jack stand's still. I know it cost a bit but maybe in my case be worth it. 

IMG-20190318-134740.jpg

IMG-20190318-134746.jpg

Got it way back it works fine,  like new. Had to get the regular gage rebuilt on it and my torch setup. I'll probably have to fool with it to get it working smooth again. Like a lot of things that sit way too long. Anyway I talked to the people I know next door to the building a auto parts shop and they have a forklift and are there during the week and said they would except and put the delivery in there shop till I could get it. Anyway it would make it all come together faster than having to make one , if I was home all the time it would be different. 

On 3/14/2019 at 10:14 PM, thisismatt said:

For a couple hundred bucks you can make your own.  I made this one with pretty much zero outside input.  I would make it a little nicer now, and wouldn't bother with the engine stand plates, but it still worked perfectly fine as it was.  I added casters later...

IMG_3060.jpg

I see you connected to the bumper brackets on the back how did you connect the front?

5 hours ago, edekalil said:

I see you connected to the bumper brackets on the back how did you connect the front?

Essentially the same - ran straight bar back  in along the frame rails and connected like the front bumper brackets

Edited by thisismatt
  • Like 1
On 3/22/2019 at 6:23 AM, mrbigtanker said:

Is this Matts thread I dont see no building going on up in here.. 

LOL No, the car is in the building. Hopefully in time it will be out the building. Been all apart for 20 years. Got most all things for it will need some other things. I'm tired of looking at it 2 days a week so I figured I would get a rotisserie so I can get all of the under side work done. And get her back together and on the ground. The L20B motor is all ready to get assembled if all goes well this summer. 280ZX struts with coil overs, some factory made shorter rear spring's, rear aluminum finned drums. Nothing fancy like yours just old school. I got a r180 but it may not get use. A cool air dam got way back from JC Whitny for the front. A lot of what I have was got and done way back. The garage needs a lot of organization. Anyway I'll take some pics as I get it going here. I figured I needed to put up a build thread and this seemed to be the car. And I need one of those stand up cool around tool boxes.

• 3 weeks later...

It's wild when you have to clean up things to make room

IMG-20190407-103423.jpg 

and find more stuff you bought 20 years ago.

IMG-20190407-104522.jpg

Not sure the make but there in fine shape.

Gotta move the saw closer to the wall to make room to use the rotisserie I'm getting.

Edited by edekalil

Well all around the saw is cleaned up or clear to move the saw to make room.

BC0ED024-C20A-420E-9984-EAF037B0ED76.jpg

As well there is a 273 Camando motor original with carb from the gold 64 Cuda next to the saw that will have to be eased forward as well. Then there should be room to get the rotisserie set up and still be able to pull out the Sedan or Goon. Any way i took a bunch of photos of parts for the blue sedan that have been posted in other places on the forum. Anyway i know the place is a mess but im gonna get to working on that as well. I have two old arcade machines ill get moved into the corner room of the building to make room for some shelfing and maybe a bench.

Here is a lot of all that goes with the car or will go on the car.

Motor stuff L20B all ready to be assembled, after some slight cleaning and painting.

CB0303-E4-2385-45-BE-9-ABB-89-EDD7-EB081

Head U67 and crank

D74F4CB9-CB89-4F90-B2C2-9E9B74D9FA6B.jpg

4F5FC99E-9EFA-488B-A1F3-E75B45C93091.jpg

Pistons

37E606DF-84C8-461F-84A5-44839FA531A7.jpg

387B2C0B-D88B-4090-BC5C-9B322E33A71C.jpg

Cam supposed to be a mild one 

A97D90A6-2BA8-49E7-BA73-AF1166EDDAA9.jpg

2474D04C-CF53-42C1-BA56-7390CEB5BECD.jpg

C70734D6-B39D-4E6B-BBF6-D84F4596B8CA.jpg

Duel carb set ups Makuni 44, flattop su type

B000756C-B39F-40B8-8650-B393A6D75EDB.jpg

Al kinds of poly bushings and front end parts and other stuff, side quarter windows.

2857D681-3906-43BF-9937-58D19F91685F.jpg

280zx Front strut strut cartridges and newer style camber plates.

147FC577-199A-43A9-8F52-04442DAAB859.jpg

280zx front struts and disk breaks

FCC28A9F-3D52-4D68-AD28-714F592B08D1.jpg

Rear finned aluminum drums

282084A5-B92E-427E-9662-DE7A36F2E67C.jpg

Old school front and rear lower springs

8B511A70-6DB4-410D-9CF4-A6650F9A5178.jpg

Front and rear sway bars

858CEB25-C825-4A8F-A424-BCFC4F113016.jpg

Some adjustable coil overs and springs

9AF50A0E-C578-4360-9118-DD7C5AF71D71.jpg

I'll add some more pics here later. Gotta run.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...