Possible warning chime?‍♂️

Chris84’720

New to the page but have found lots of helpful info. 

‘84 720 king cab 2wd noticed today when I brake hard and also if I turn to the right quickly I get a chime from the dash. Sounds like the door chime but is a lot faster tone and is  momentarily . No warning lights are on while the chime sounds. Has anyone experienced this? I’ll shoot a video in the morning. Thanks 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once was while making a right hand turn into my work parking lot. Was just me no passenger. And again one the way home from the gym with a passenger but we both where seat belts pressed the beakes kinda hard. Sounds just like the door chime when the keys in the ignition but much faster ding. New to the page but I’ll see if I can upload a short video of it. Had the truck for a few months recently got it road worthy and have driven it about 850 miles so far. Thanks Mike 

I have that on my 80 200 SX. It works right, but it drove me crazy and I disconnected it. I think it came on if my seatbelt wasn't connected, if the door was ajar, and if the lights were left on after I removed the key. Mine is up under the dash on the right side. The cover is on the car and most of the dash is currently out. I'll look in the manual tonight and see what all triggers it and if I can find a pic of it.  

But yours sounds really ill by comparison. 

• Like 1

I looked it up in a 86 720 Datsun Sevice Manual and took some pics from the pages. Can’t get them to upload to imgur from my iPad. Will try tomorrow afternoon. The 86 looks like the chime is only associated with rhe door switches, and possibly the ignition. The wiring diagram is much simpler than my SX. 

In the mean time the 86 manual says the warning chime for the 86 is on the back of the dash as an IC integrated circuit board. It could be a separate device for an earlier model 720 similar to my 80 SX, but I don’t have an earlier 720 manual. Maybe PM AZ Charlie, he’s a 720 guy. 

But it it looks like there is a component plug to disconnect it if you want. 

There is a diode built into the door switch that might be bad causing it to malfunction. Looks like the door switch and diode are one unit. One of the pages I photo’d  shows how to test it. 

For trouble shooting my Earlier SX manual says to clean the wire connections, grounds, and mounting screws for the door switches. Could not find a trouble shooting section or the warning chime in the 720 manual.

if you want to provide your email or ph # I could email or text the photos to you easier & quicker than tomorrow. 

Seeker

OK... I have the Nissan FSM and the chime only signals when the key is in the ignition AND the driver's door is opened.

The seat belt timer only turns a warning light on in the dash of the 720.

Where did you get those diagrams???

Page 104 doesn't exist in my FSM and the other page mentioned has something to do with the diesel injector pump timer.

Pull the driver's door lamp switch out and inspect and clean it. I suspect there are two switches in one. One for the lamp and one just for the key chime. My '76 710 is this way and it was covered in rust and blowing the interior lamp fuse. I cleaned it and all well. Maybe on hard turns this wire is grounding and with the key in the ignition the chime would sound.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Page 104 doesn't exist in my FSM and the other page mentioned has something to do with the diesel injector pump timer.

Pages 74 warning chime diagram and 88 location of electrical units  in the electrical section

Edited by DrvnDrvr
clarity

Pages may be different but many of the components are the same. My '84 just shows the chime for the key in the ignition.....

HANG ON!!!

I I found the LH door switch is shown with two switches. One for the interior lamp and the other for the key chime. So very similar to my 710. Probably a loose wire touching ground briefly on bumps or hard turns.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Pages may be different but many of the components are the same. My '84 just shows the chime for the key in the ignition.....

HANG ON!!!

I I found the LH door switch is shown with two switches. One for the interior lamp and the other for the key chime. So very similar to my 710. Probably a loose wire touching ground briefly on bumps or hard turns.

The other day after messing with the interior light it would come on with the passenger door open but not the driver door. But the door dinger  work. Thinking something maybe going on with the driver side door switch.  Kinda making sense