50mil or 80mil sound deadening material

rosso

1 hour ago, datsunrides said:

Oops, sorry. I forgot you know better than anyone on anything. My bad.

Am I wrong then? They are overpriced and once the investment is made there is a vested interest to maintain the illusion that they are the best for the money. You'll have a hard time convincing me they the handle shape is worth paying 5X more for it. They are a $ status symbol. Like a Rolex. If I had all the money in the world I'd buy all Snap-on but not because they are slightly better than the best but because everyone could see that I could spent $15,000 for 3,500 dollars worth of tools. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I forgot about this one, highly reviewed on Amazon and pretty well priced:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AXJ5VNOZL83GP&psc=1

Yes, one of the good choices - I am leaning towards the Kilmat - even less money. Probably order end of this next week. Budget constraints and all...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751CBXBT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AXJ5VNOZL83GP&psc=1

I used spray on bed liner on my first 510 interior and it quieted the cabin down considerably and even more so once the carpet and the shifter/tranny tunnel cover (2003 Mitsu Lancer) was put back in. The spray also kept the carpet in place as the spray liner was a bit “tacky” afterwards. On my current 510 I used 80ml Rattle Trap sound deadening mat throughout the entire car. Floor, inside the doors, against the firewall, under the rear seat and behind the rear seat back against the trunk. The only spots I did not do were the roof and trunk and I have to say it is still pretty loud although I’ve got some vibrations coming from the exhaust rubbing on the rear cross member that has not been addressed yet and I’m running an SR20DET instead of the stock L16 (minor detail:). Having decent weatherstrip seals around the doors help out a lot as do newer felt strips for the windows so those are not rattling around over every bump. I just put carpet in tonight so hopefully when I take it out tomorrow it may be little quieter. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2018 at 11:57 AM, thisismatt said:

I forgot about this one, highly reviewed on Amazon and pretty well priced:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AXJ5VNOZL83GP&psc=1

I bought some of this 80mil - 10 sq ft (just $20 cheapo) since my interior still has all of its original gloppy stuff and the fiber matting. All I need to do is put 1 sheet in each door, wheel well arch,, and front kick panel - that's 8 sheets and there are 10 in the pack.

45680590554_b676ae9eee_z.jpg

The only downside is that it has a lot of embodied energy in shipping miles since the country of origin is the Russian Federation.

Edited by rosso