280z suspension

Un510

Now i know this has been discussed before but my problem/ is a little different and i couldnt find the answer. I have a 79 datsun 510. Wich isnt really a 510 at all. It has a live axle rear and a different unibody than the actual 510. So half my question is do the 280z IRS and front suspension bolt in or not. Also i was un aware that all the Z cars before the 86 300zx (from what i can find) were factory 4 lug. Im puting a 400hp ford 302 and a tremec in my car (i know its blasphemy.) i like v8s and i hate GM. So is the 4 lug 280z suspension even worth the hassle? I definitely want an IRS. Would the 86 300zx suspension be a better choice?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you have the A10 or HL510 which is a 510 in name only. Still a nice looking car... and a Datsun.

I believe the 280z front McPherson struts with hubs, rotor and caliper will bolt onto the A10 but the hub angle is wrong. Everyone else uses the later 79-'83 280zx struts which are shorter (for lowering) and come with much larger calipers and vented rotors than the 280z or the HL510.  

You could use 300zx struts but then you would need to convert to 5 lug* on the rear and these won't make you any faster. The stopping power of monster brakes is limited by the tire traction against the pavement so the law of diminishing returns applies here. On top of this you would be adding to the unsprung weight.

The IRS does not swap in. It would be wider than you want and a solid axle would be better for high HP. By the time you strapped an IRS down with stiffer springs and roll bars you may as well have a solid axle. I would look for an '82-'83 S110 200sx or an '84 S12 with H-190 rear solid axle to replace your H-165.  A narrowed Mustang 8" comes with gear and LSD options and is also 5 lug.*

• 5 weeks later...

Be sure to post pics as this develops.  A few of us might be a bit skeptical that this car will make it to the road with what you're planning.  I am particularly interested seeing one of these projects get finished.  I'm rooting for you.

With most of the Anglia, Morris, BMC V8 swaps, the builders use an import truck or a Chevy S10 chassis.  The S10 came in three wheel bases, and the hot rodders are using those for a LOT of swaps.  They are easy to shorten or narrow/widen.  

Edited by Duncan

The 79-83 280ZX (not the earlier 280Z!!) front struts will bolt up with coilovers to your 79 510 & the 68-73 510 upper camber plates will also fit (bolt in or weld in).  I do not know if the 68-73 510 lower control arms will work, but if not, modifying your stock LCA's as adjustable should be pretty straight forward using heim joints etc!  Had a local guy with a 79 510 stop by with his stock front struts, we compared to the stock 68-73 510 & to the 79-83 280ZX, and decided the ZX would work just fine!  Hope that helps!

TJ

Denver CO 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thanks for the help. Tj. Ill have to look around for one. And i will definitely pist up some pics. The 302 fits surprisingly well in the engine bay. Just have to figure out what front suspension/ k member we are gonna use b4 we mount it. I dont see any reason for skepticism. People put chevy 350s and ls' in datsuns all the time. If it fits it ships.

All 79-83 280ZX front struts are the same, if you find a parts car.  You do NOT want the coil springs or upper "hats, as they do not fit the 510.  The ZX brakes will be better than the stock 510 brakes.  I often have ZX struts for sale $350 + shipping with hubs rotors & calipers.  Shipping can be $60++ cuz big bulky & HEAVY with the stock ZX brakes.  If you are gonna go with a big brake upgrade, I can sell only the struts a l'il cheaper & saves weight so shipping cheaper.

TJ

The brakes and the hub/ steering knuckle is what i was really looking to upgrade. I can fab up somm but i was kinda hoping for bolt on stuff. Sense the irs wont just bolt in it doesn't really matter what i get for a rear end as long as the dif can take the abuse