Hood/Cowl Clearance issues

EWD

Can anyone point me in the direction on how to adjust my hood so that the rear-center of the hood does not pinch on the cowl when raising the hood? I have two 510s and both do this to the point where I have to lightly pry the hood forward while lifting up to clear the cowl. I’ve tried the following:

1. Moved hood latch left and right

2. Added washers/spacers between hood and mounting arms to raise up hood

3. Massaged cowl farther back towards windshield

Are the hood mounting arms adjustable as well?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shimming the hinges with washers will only move the hinge arm downward.

Move the hood forward away from the cowl. Doesn't take much.

There should also be a rubber sealer strip along the cowl that the hood comes down on and rubber bumpers* along the fender edges that the hoof closes down on.

Interesting.My 510 has the same issue.I know it's never been in an accident but i could never get the hood to clear the the cowl when the front of the hood lined up with the fenders.It would slightly bind up with the cowl when properly adjusted at the front.My hood sticks out slightly forward of the fenders but that looks better than chipped paint on the cowling.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Shimming the hinges with washers will only move the hinge arm downward.

Move the hood forward away from the cowl. Doesn't take much.

There should also be a rubber sealer strip along the cowl that the hood comes down on and rubber bumpers* along the fender edges that the hoof closes down on.

That makes sense. Didn’t think about the hinge arm moving down instead of hood sitting up higher.

I’ll try and add a centimeter on each of the four hood mounts forward to get the hood up a little further.  They are already bolted down as far forward as they will go currently. 

I’ve got rubber bumpers but did not know about the hood having a sealer strip as well. Have had three 510s and never had a hood sealer on any of them, though I’ve never purchased one that was in decent shape! ? Great info! Thank you

Take it to a decent body shop and let them adjust your panels. Trust me, there is a science to this and they know it! 

I have been helping my friend do body work and watching him do stuff is pretty wild. Adjusting things I would have never thought of that body men know. 

Just spend a few bucks and have them do it for you. 

• 1 year later...

this is an old thread but the hinges where they mount to the car should be able to rotate slightly up and down to raise or lower the back of the hood 

if not slot those holes slightly to allow rotation upward